Emulation Nintendo 64

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Ghost 1
lithium

Emulation Nintendo 64

Post#1 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:46 pm

I see for emulation Nintendo 64 that Dreamcast cd had been sell on commerce market. So also another game as like mario seems to be possible ?

Wombat
Vagabond

Re: Emulation Nintendo 64

Post#2 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:13 am

Mario 64 on Dreamcast is not emulation but a port (thanks to the decompilation). With other source codes being out there its possible to port other N64 titles too, but this is a very technical and time consuming effort.

Ghost 1
lithium

Post#3 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:39 pm

Yes, in fact it s a port but the programms ports (Emulation) can be used for other roms nintendo 64, a question of conversion its seems to be. Actually, i don't find the procedure to do this.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#4 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:50 pm

It's a port to run super mario 64 only that's it nothing else.Not even sm64 mods it takes the assets in the rom to use and is with in 50kb of no ram it cant run anything else.

Ghost 1
lithium

Post#5 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:15 pm

Perhaps, it seems to be possible with zero file but i don't find the procedure perhaps this mario 64 has a closed file.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#6 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:10 pm

Another game that had its source code released is Perfect Dark, but as it is a very large game it is practically impossible to run on the Dreamcast.

Maztr_0n
fire

Post#7 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:37 pm

Ryo_Hazuki wrote:Another game that had its source code released is Perfect Dark, but as it is a very large game it is practically impossible to run on the Dreamcast.

would be so cool to see it running, then again i'm not technical so just because it runs on N64 i wont say "obviously since dreamcast 6th gen it could run perfect dark" that would be such an undertaking to make it work with the hardware.
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#8 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:51 pm

Anthony explains it here:

Anthony817 wrote:Because it needs a full rework of the audio system which mrneo240 said he would never do since he spent so much blood, sweat and tears on this just to get it working only to still be held back by the 16mb of memory. With streaming audio from disc image would not use up any memory unlike the way it is now. Just a lot of work but not impossible. But you are a technical guy so you understand it is not a trivial task at all and a massive undertaking.

I think Ian was looking into it last year but nothing came out of it. Plus they both got lots of other ongoing projects they are dealing with as well. I still hope one day we will have this fully ported, and who knows, maybe ports of the other reverse engineered N64 games currently in the works, the big ones are the Zelda games and Goldeneye 007 which would be awesome to see on the Dreamcast. But those roms were massive way larger than anything that could fit into memory since the games were coded to load up all at once unlike disc based games which load in bite sized chunks or constantly streaming data.

I think a full rewrite would have to be in order on how the n64 games are loaded and handling data on a disc based system. N64 ports were common on the DC by official studios, but they really optimized the hell out of it and that was an orchestrated team effort sometimes by dozens of folks. Alas, maybe one day after we are knee deep in N64 decompilations we can see if more folks will port over to the system. Just a not insignificant undertaking.

Maztr_0n
fire

Post#9 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:03 pm

ah, so what i'm getting in laymans terms is esentially the problem is mainly how the N64 cartridge system works and how the game needs a lot of work to make it able to use the Disc Drive for essential things?

(even more) basically a cartridge streams differently compared to a disc?
||| She/It ||| Another 365 days to completely waste..! |||