Attempting Sakura Wars Dreamcast Translation

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Steve_Doido
noob

Re: Attempting Sakura Wars Dreamcast Translation

Post#21 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:33 pm

How is it going? I've been thinking about making my own translation to Brazilian Portuguese as well (straight from Japanese), I would love if you were willing to help in some way. ^_^

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#22 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:23 pm

Steve_Doido wrote:How is it going? I've been thinking about making my own translation to Brazilian Portuguese as well (straight from Japanese), I would love if you were willing to help in some way. ^_^

Hey. I actually just came back to this project recently. This is still in its very early stages as I am the only one working on this. Quite honestly, I thought about giving up once or twice, but I just keep coming back. I am new to assembly editing and pretty much everything romhacking requires, so I am not sure how much help I could give currently. Once I get more things figured out, I would be happy to help.

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#23 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:03 pm

I found some values that affect text in the .fnt file. Have to play around with this more, but it looks like text spacing and offset is controlled in this file.
textclutter.png

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#24 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:53 pm

Found a way to reduce the size of the space by editing the font. Going to try to make the accented e in Mon Frére soon, but this definitely helps increase the amount of text that fits in the textbox.
space.png

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#25 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:37 am

Well done !!!

It's "Mon frère" in french :)

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#26 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:58 am

joshthegamer wrote:Found a way to reduce the size of the space by editing the font. Going to try to make the accented e in Mon Frére soon, but this definitely helps increase the amount of text that fits in the textbox.
space.png

Great work! So the font file itself contains glyph widths for each character? That's very interesting, I haven't encountered that in a game yet.

Honestly though, this is a much easier way to achieve a nice variable-width font than the usual assembly hacking requirement.

Cool find!

My suggestion would be to draw up new character glyphs that are narrower, that way you have more screen real estate for your English text.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#27 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:59 pm

ateam wrote:
joshthegamer wrote:Found a way to reduce the size of the space by editing the font. Going to try to make the accented e in Mon Frére soon, but this definitely helps increase the amount of text that fits in the textbox.
space.png

Great work! So the font file itself contains glyph widths for each character? That's very interesting, I haven't encountered that in a game yet.

Honestly though, this is a much easier way to achieve a nice variable-width font than the usual assembly hacking requirement.

Cool find!

My suggestion would be to draw up new character glyphs that are narrower, that way you have more screen real estate for your English text.

Actually, I created the smaller space by editing the character "||". I tried viewing the font in crystal tile 2, but I can't get anything that even resembles the font.
Here are some things I know about the font:
Each letter is 512 bytes.
The game does not have strict width values for most letters. Instead it reads the 512 bytes of data and automatically detects the width. (I have created a few half-width letters manually to test this)
Some letters, such as the space do have a hard coded width. That is why I had to change a different letter to make the new space.

Sorry if this isn't the best explanation. I am relatively new to all this. I have been able to make a few half-width letters already, and that will be my main focus for the time being.

joshthegamer
rebel

Post#28 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:35 pm

Just wanted to provide a little peak at some of the new font. I still have to complete a few characters, but the majority of the font editing is done. I posted a picture of this LIPS choice earlier, so you can compare this new picture to that one to see the difference.
Screenshot from 2023-12-04 21-28-28.png

wakabayashy
shadow

Post#29 » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:13 pm

thanks for your work

autoNamed
noob

Post#30 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:40 am

Very exciting, thanks for attempting this! Hoping you complete it some day.