Competition #20 - Daytona USA 2001 (Ended)

Official Dreamcast Live competition forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

ChrisHa2049
photon blast

Re: Dreamcast Live Competition #20 - Daytona USA 2001

Post#41 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:39 am

pcwzrd13 wrote:I think I'm starting to get the hang of the whole drifting thing! It seems to work fine with the standard tires as long as you do it right.

Yeah. I was going to say, you can still get 45.xxx with the default 'medium' tires. (I only just changed to medium-hard in my latest time.)

For that turn that's giving you trouble, (if I may :D), using Manual transmission, as you start to turn, downshift directly to 2nd. When the car gets sideways, basically 'pointing' in the correct direction (takes only a split second), go directly back to 4th and keep turning. The car should straighten out as you make the turn full throttle (no brake needed). Do the same for the final turn, although it's a little trickier there.

Also, since you were using the Driver's View in your video, try using the behind the car View instead, if you're not already. It's a little easier learning the timings from this perspective, I think. Good luck!

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#42 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:12 am

Thanks Chris but I think I have that turn figured out. My strategy is: Just before I get to the turn I start to steer to the left, then I quickly spin the wheel to the right and I drift right around the turn. Seems to work every time.

And yeah, I know it would be easier to use the behind the car view but I think it's more fun to use the hood view in combination with the steering wheel.

Here's my setup in case anyone is interested in seeing it:

Edit:

My latest time. Baby steps...

PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#43 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:41 pm

My best attempt so far. I think I'm out of my league in this competition :P
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#44 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:56 pm

SEGA RPG FAN wrote:My best attempt so far. I think I'm out of my league in this competition :P

:lol: Me and you both! I'm sure if you keep at it you'll improve like I did. Anyway, since this is your first entry, I created a profile for you on the site. I just need a bit of extra information to complete it:

1. Your top 3 Dreamcast games.
2. Live Games that you own (listed here).
3. An avatar you would like to use. (I already assigned you the same avatar you have here but let me know if you'd like to change it)
4. Your PSO guild card number. (This is for your profile's "Online ID" which shows what Dreamcast games you play online and relevant info.)
5. Dreamcast games you play online. (Also for your Online ID. I already added PSO and Starlancer)

You can see your profile here:
https://sites.google.com/site/segadream ... ga-rpg-fan
PSO Characters:

ChrisHa2049
photon blast

Post#45 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:06 am

Nice setup there, pcwzrd. I agree the driver view is definitely funner; even more so like that I'm sure!

Well...I finally have the hairpin down correctly...and with the drafting tricks...
Better just post it while I have the chance... :D

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#46 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:35 am

Very nice Chris! Wow! This is amazing! There are literally milliseconds separating the top 3 players!
PSO Characters:

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#47 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Wow, well done. I didn't expect that time of mine to be beaten. Anyhow, here's a new time. I had to take this one from the replay since my camera decided to crap out on me at that critical moment.
Attachments
SDC10655.JPG

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#48 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:27 pm

No comment... :lol: At this rate we're on our way to setting a world record time (for the Grasshopper anyway)!
PSO Characters:

Alec1382
Vagabond

Post#49 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Ah, shit. You know what I've just realized, I've been playing on hard difficulty for some of my more recent times. I used to be playing without a file, which would mean the difficulty was on normal by default, but recently I've been using my file, which has the difficulty set to hard. Are my times still valid, or should I give them another shot?

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#50 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:28 pm

Alec1382 wrote:Ah, shit. You know what I've just realized, I've been playing on hard difficulty for some of my more recent times. I used to be playing without a file, which would mean the difficulty was on normal by default, but recently I've been using my file, which has the difficulty set to hard. Are my times still valid, or should I give them another shot?

Nah, you're fine. I don't really mind if someone uses a harder difficulty. I normally like everyone to be on an even playing field but if one person wants to have more of a challenge then that's fine with me. It wouldn't really make a big difference in this competition anyway as it's only going to affect the computer players and your placement in the race is irrelevant.
PSO Characters: