Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which way do you play games on your Dreamcast?

Optical Discs (GD-R/CD-R)
43%
Optical Disc Emulators (GDemu/USB GD-Rom/M.O.D.E.)
51%
Dreamshell (HDD/Serial Port)
7%
Total votes: 120

Ivan Guber
letterbomb

Re: Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

Post#21 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:22 pm

My GDEMU clone not work. Now i use Dreamcast with GD-Rom drive and IDE Mod.

Raen
Toy Commander

Post#22 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:20 pm

Last time I counted, I have 5 Dreamcasts, with only one not working (non-working PSU and mainboard with faulty GPU).
That being said, my main DC is equipped with an original GDEMU that I bought from the original maker Deunan, but I like to keep the others around to boot the original games from my collection from time to time, for maintenance or just the sake of it. GDEMU removed the need to use burned discs, or original discs at all (unless they aren't dumped yet).

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#23 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:30 pm

Raen wrote:Last time I counted, I have 5 Dreamcasts, with only one not working (non-working PSU and mainboard with faulty GPU).
That being said, my main DC is equipped with an original GDEMU that I bought from the original maker Deunan, but I like to keep the others around to boot the original games from my collection from time to time, for maintenance or just the sake of it. GDEMU removed the need to use burned discs, or original discs at all (unless they aren't dumped yet).

wow 5 dreamcasts thats awesome!

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#24 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:27 am

Bump

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#25 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:33 pm

Not sure these is many users after arcade ports there is a lot more that bought the serial card.. which when i do homebrew that uses i can have a version that uses it for saving not the vmu at all.. same games pc or ports the save games are to big to fit on a vmu example save states in uae4all cant fit on a vmu ever

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#26 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:35 pm

Dont shock me that there is still more users or just as much using burned cdrs what shocks me is gdemu usage.. most new or normal user is not going to spend money on a dreamcast so burning a cdr was always why this machine had homebrew scene..

soniccd123
dark night

Post#27 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:19 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Dont shock me that there is still more users or just as much using burned cdrs what shocks me is gdemu usage.. most new or normal user is not going to spend money on a dreamcast so burning a cdr was always why this machine had homebrew scene..

I think that the wide availability of GDEMU clones is the cause, even more so with a lot of people not having CD Writers anymore and the GDI rom drives failing in the Dreamcasts and being expensive to repair. While bad for the creator of GDEmu, I think that the availability of clones gave a new breath of life for the community, just like flashcarts for other systems. It helps a lot for homebrew developers and for users to use and update the homebrews. I'm hoping someday this happens with the Saturn and maybe people will become more interested on that platform.

McGaffryson
undertow

Post#28 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:40 pm

I still use optical discs. I know disc-drives eventually die and/or need to be repaired, but I prefer to not modify my DC in fear of breaking it. It's a August 1999 model, so I don't know if it's on it's last leg or not.

sangrosenfeld82
noob

Post#29 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:02 pm

My favorite thing is to use old classic DC GD-Rom drives.
And I'd like the company to release more disk games, because they seem so old-school and retro, something I want to keep up with and show off to others:)
"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it."

smart apartment london

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#30 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:09 pm

Dawh phooey!!@# Two emul8ors has beaten us burnouts 0.o