Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42

Poll: Which way do you play games on your Dreamcast?

Optical Discs (GD-R/CD-R)
43%
Optical Disc Emulators (GDemu/USB GD-Rom/M.O.D.E.)
51%
Dreamshell (HDD/Serial Port)
7%
Total votes: 120

Beagle
noob

Re: Which way are you playing games on Dreamcast?

Post#41 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:47 pm

Hello all. I play via old school DC discs and use an OSSC for HD use on my flat panel 1080p tv.

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#42 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:20 am

I'm surprised to see how close this is between disc and ode. I would have thought that ODE would have been way out in front.

KnowbraineR
noob

Post#43 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:32 pm

I'm currently using a GDEMU clone that I picked up from eBay a couple of years ago for $25.

It works fine, I only have 10 games on it at the moment. :D

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#44 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:44 pm

I currently use a clone gdemu, have 2 dreamcast with CD drives but no way to burn cds anymore.

For my homebrew I plan to release cdi and gdi going forward

mr.kaeru
lithium

Post#45 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:16 pm

As I am in Japan, DC games are pretty easy and not that expensive for the most part, so I use discs.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#46 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:23 am

cdr or ode poll is no shock to me ```I'm not shocked at all cdr is still in the lead it was the only why people bought a dreamcast after it was dead burned copied games with out a mod needed to a dreamcast
ode is still $69 still have to open it up.. Not every one wants or feels they can open a console and start moding it

Pack of cdr's is $15 for 100 $30 you can burn 200 games still cheaper then any ODE clone .. Usb dvd burner to work on any laptop is $20 even then with burner and cdr's still cheaper then ODE clone```
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#47 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:25 am

mrneo240 wrote:I currently use a clone gdemu, have 2 dreamcast with CD drives but no way to burn cds anymore.

For my homebrew I plan to release cdi and gdi going forward

$less then $30 you can buy a sata usb dvd burner plextor

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#48 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:28 am

Everyone needs to stop being threatened by this thread. It's a poll to see how the community is made up of now. It's meant to help not hurt. There is no longer one proper way now to play games on dreamcast.

Dreamcast devs making retail games for the system should know the demographics of their customers. How many sales are lost cuz half the community doesn't even use gd-rom drive anymore? How can you get the most sales if you only cater to half the community? Would piracy be as big a concern if devs sold digital copies for a cheaper affordable price?

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#49 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:39 pm

dubcity wrote:Everyone needs to stop being threatened by this thread. It's a poll to see how the community is made up of now. It's meant to help not hurt. There is no longer one proper way now to play games on dreamcast.

Dreamcast devs making retail games for the system should know the demographics of their customers. How many sales are lost cuz half the community doesn't even use gd-rom drive anymore? How can you get the most sales if you only cater to half the community? Would piracy be as big a concern if devs sold digital copies for a cheaper affordable price?

the concern for indie devs and digital offerings surely have to be that once 1 person buys it and shares it then thats the whole digital market more or less killed off to a degree, regardless of how cheap it might be. I'm not saying everyone would do that but it's definitely got to play into peoples minds when considering it as a way to get your game out there.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#50 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:45 pm

I think most homebrew should be free like it always was.. but small cost digital download should always be offered it works in the c64 scene which is much larger then the dc scene many games are sold for under $5 also have meda releasing and box art.. Nothing stopping any one ripping a mil cd and sharing it .. I dont think it matters ether way ..