VGA vs RGB

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Re: VGA vs RGB

Post#11 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:48 am

Gabbyjay wrote:
There was a lot of turmoil about the N64s RGB-image, tho. That I still remember.
I had one of the first japanese Models back in '96 and thus was lucky to get RGB - which was not common in Japan at all I think - but interestingly video-boards in PAL-regions (where it was a lot more common) did not have it anymore - only the early frensh models I think.

I highly doubt that, coz the n64 never had RGB to begin with, in any region, they don’t even have JP21 in Japan, just good old composite. They need to be modded for that. It was a way for Nintendo to save money on production, which was really insane when you cole to thing of it, since the Snes had RGB out of the box…
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

Gabbyjay
lithium

Post#12 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 am

On said early models, the video chip outputs a native RGB-signal, only it was not wired to the connector, if my memory serves me right. Doing the wiring/amplifying was no big deal, I had that done when I bought it, so I had RGB right from the start in '96.

(On the other models, RGB was not available for a long time since the video chip did not output that signal, and when they finally found a method, it was way more complicated and required installing a chip to grab and convert the signal and stuff).

But what I found interesting is that the early frensh model again was the only PAL-Model which had this, while the other PAL-models did not.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#13 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:32 pm

Oh yes, I see. You had it modded, I thought you meant it came from the factory like that.
And yes, the French always were a faster than the rest when it comes to RGB, which is ironic, coz bitd they didn’t even use PAL but rather SECAM. I bought anime vhs tapes in France at the end of the 80’s and had to watch em in black & white on our PAL tv at home LoL. But hey, we didn’t complain coz at least we could watch em :lol:
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#14 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:34 pm

Best part of Dreamcast is VGA not sure what your talking about no AA If it's not vga i dont play..

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#15 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:22 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Best part of Dreamcast is VGA not sure what your talking about no AA If it's not vga i dont play..

Supposedly HDMI is also the best way to play the 360, now hook it up with RGB to a high end consumer CRT and it’ll blow you away ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#16 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:02 pm

it's the best way on dreamcast due to the hardware why we have 8mb of vram to do double buffer 480p ..
It's how it was made and the gpu .. Rgb i get for 2d fighting games ..

No picture rgb vs vga that's better on dreamcast when it's 3D if you want we can go picture capture for capture lol..

We can use soul reaver :) easy to see rgb is lot worst then vga on that game..Main thing i even do dev for this machine is 480p vga if it was only rgb i would of moved on..

TBH it's the main and only why i like Dreamcast at all..

Whats this using vga is small screen thing you could get big monitor vga crt bigger then most tv crt's at the time with better refresh rate..
NEC had the best much better then any tv crt dot per inch as well..
Not all crt's are = the same.. ANd not consumer tv's are no where near that proper vga montior..
I dont want low pixel blured rubbish smeared all of the screen..
But that's me i like sharp with out smearing .. No rgb or anything is that sharp..

Whats this DC had no filtering or AAA seen bleemcast retail ?

If you use an RGB cable, the few 240p games that are available will look great, but all other games will only output in 480i.

Why would i want 480i..
If i wanted crap 480I i would moved to the ps2 lmao..

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#17 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:02 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:it's the best way on dreamcast due to the hardware why we have 8mb of vram to do double buffer 480p ..

No picture rgb vs vga that's better on dreamcast when it's 3D if you want we can go picture capture for capture lol..

We can use soul reaver :) easy to see rgb is lot worst then vga on that game..Main thing i even do dev for this machine is 480p vga if it was only rgb i would of moved on..

As said above: it is a trade off I’m not willing to make, unless you can point me in to direction of 2 huge ass PC monitors that are just as big and handy as my tv’s, and provide the means to hook every console I have up to that monitor :D
When I have to choose between a screen that is 2 or 3 times smaller, for that small boost in quality I get from VGA, it’s really not worth it for me :geek:
I play games from my sofa and no PCmonitor is so big, that I can sit a few meters from it and not destroy my eyes :lol:
I’m mainly a shmup guy, and everything from my PC Engine to my Xbox 360 is fed through a Hydra via RGB to 2 tv’s, one for yoko and one for tate. Ease of access and stuff like that is key here since I have thousands of shooters across many platforms: I start up another console, it automatically switches to the tv, I want to play a vertical game, all I need to do is fire up the other tv, coz the game is already tilted 90°, I took my time configuring all of this to my own specific set of needs so…and a lot can be said for playing a vertical shooter on a 26” CRT, my Final Burn Legends, MAMEoX & Daphne goes through that thing too so I have all my arcade games on those huge screens as well…no need for VGA here ;)
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#18 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:06 pm

mazonemayu wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:it's the best way on dreamcast due to the hardware why we have 8mb of vram to do double buffer 480p ..

As said above: it is a trade off I’m not willing to make, unless you can point me in to direction of 2 huge ass PC monitors that are just as big and handy as my tv’s, and provide the means to hook every console I have up to that monitor :D
When I have to choose between a screen that is 2 or 3 times smaller, for that small boost in quality I get from VGA, it’s really not worth it for me :geek:
I play games from my sofa and no PCmonitor is so big, that I can sit a few meters from it and not destroy my eyes :lol:
I’m mainly a shmup guy, and everything from my PC Engine to my Xbox 360 is fed through a Hydra via RGB to 2 tv’s, one for yoko and one for tate. Ease of access and stuff like that is key here since I have thousands of shooters across many platforms: I start up another console, it automatically switches to the tv, I want to play a vertical game, all I need to do is fire up the other tv, coz the game is already tilted 90°, I took my time configuring all of this to my own specific set of needs so…and a lot can be said for playing a vertical shooter on a 26” CRT, my Final Burn Legends, MAMEoX & Daphne goes through that thing too so I have all my arcade games on those huge screens as well…no need for VGA here ;)

Since your playing shooters and not 3D pvr double buffer 3d i can see why but i even make Dreamneo cd 480p i cant take flicker.. Dreamcast does 480i using rgb if the game does not support 240p.. That will make me sick..

Well yeah i can see that would be pain for you.. For me the only console i use like that is the Dreamcast .. To me I'm Dreamcast only centric so it matters i get the best possible picture .. The boost in qualty is worth it for me because i only use a Dreamcast..

Being autistic i cant stand the flicker of 480I i can see it all the time..Why i cant stand the ps2 at all.. 240p is fine and 480p is fine but 1080i 480i i cant handle it's like a disco of flicker for me..

So i understand what your saying .. Fair enff.. I make my menus and fonts for VGA only .. It was pain for me doing the demo disk for segapowered have to have it read-able on bloody RF and composite lol.. I had to make every thing bigger and dorky so it would work on the lowest blured smudged picture lol..

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur

Post#19 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:45 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
mazonemayu wrote:

Since your playing shooters and not 3D pvr double buffer 3d i can see why but i even make Dreamneo cd 480p i cant take flicker.. Dreamcast does 480i using rgb if the game does not support 240p.. That will make me sick..

Well yeah i can see that would be pain for you.. For me the only console i use like that is the Dreamcast .. To me I'm Dreamcast only centric so it matters i get the best possible picture .. The boost in qualty is worth it for me because i only use a Dreamcast..

Being autistic i cant stand the flicker of 480I i can see it all the time..Why i cant stand the ps2 at all.. 240p is fine and 480p is fine but 1080i 480i i cant handle it's like a disco of flicker for me..

So i understand what your saying .. Fair enff.. I make my menus and fonts for VGA only .. It was pain for me doing the demo disk for segapowered have to have it read-able on bloody RF and composite lol.. I had to make every thing bigger and dorky so it would work on the lowest blured smudged picture lol..

Well, considering what I play the most (2D) it really is the best option for me LoL. Atm I have my PC Engine, Mega Drive/CD combo, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS2 (mainly for PS1 shooters and rpgs), Xbox (doubles as my main emulator machine for stuff like Arcade, MSX, X68000, Amiga, PC-98, ZX Spectrum, etc…) & Xbox 360 all interconnected with RGB/Hydra.
And a proper cable with a quality tv goes a long way.
Clearly the pics don’t do it justice as you know how hard it is to take snaps off a CRT :mrgreen:
Attachments
624675FD-86FB-4DFF-B9AD-3A8568476A89.jpeg
E2D54921-7E0B-46F9-BA2C-C40AE8744BC5.jpeg
D2158EFC-41E6-432D-85B6-CCA4C508515B.jpeg
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

Visit:

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:53 pm

I make emulator upgrades using the dc normal emulator on any machine cant do I'm a mad lad

Spectrum with cdda gameboy music no pc or xbox emulator can do this lol
https://streamable.com/aarql3
Bleemcast was always my inspire to enhance not make the same..

Created atari st cd no pc or any emulator can do this with epic sound track total improves the game

Running on Dreamcast hardware cant do this with any st emulator..

better speed then hardware better res then hardware upgrade not just emulation..
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “Lounge”