Unreal Tournament Gold Disc vs Grey Disc

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Unreal Tournament Gold Disc vs Grey Disc

Post#1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:18 pm

For some reason, the US release of Unreal Tournament was issued with discs of two different colours - one gold/beige, the other greyscale. Supposedly, the gold version of the disc was issued first, before the grey one followed later on:
ImageImage

Has anyone dumped the ROMs from these two discs to see if any revisions were made to the grey version? It wasn't unheard of at the time for publishers to release 1.1 versions of games containing small numbers of bug fixes. I'd imagine comparing the checksum on both versions would quickly determine if they're different at all.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Re: Unreal Tournament Gold Disc vs Grey Disc

Post#2 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:51 pm

I can't say for certain but I'd guess they just switched to black and white to save money on printing later on. I'm sure if they released a new version with bug fixes, they would have mentioned it somewhere.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live