sega arcade cabinet?

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Daydreamer
noob

sega arcade cabinet?

Post#1 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:57 am

Givin That sega is or was in the arcade market, you would think that just once in all these years they would have tried an at home arcade machine, not a console, but a full fledged 5-6ft arcade cabinet for consumer and not commercial use. heck, i saw a build your own arcade cabinet feature namco games at one point in walmart i think a few years ago. people wanted a another console and sega was interested in making one but i don't think it was possible with how much the cabinet would of cost. A regular sized cabinet goes for thousands of dollars for one game and the computers are hundreds, but the one in walmart was 600 usd.

While i don't know the anything about those walmart cabinets it's possible that sega could have made or make a d.i.y cabinet i bet by cutting some corners, but it would have had the same price as consoles today. Even allowing upgrades and customization down the line, i think this is still a real possibility talking about it. People still want,buy and sell these things because nothing beats the experience compared to a home console.

So what do you think, is there room for a d.i.y cabinet in the marke?

dark
Shark Patrol

Re: sega arcade cabinet?

Post#2 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:47 am

Sega has licensed some of its games to companies like Arcade1up, who then made sega game-themed arcade cabinets. They aren't full size, but tey do sorta exist. For example:

Golden Axe

Outrun

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:53 am

Some people take those walmart arcade1up cabinets and customize them with their own art (or art you can buy elsewhere online). I've seen some cool sega designs come out of these, like so:

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#4 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:29 pm

I don't have the space or the cash for any kind of arcade machine, but if Sega made one which compiled their greatest hits of the 80s, 90s and 00s, I'd seriously consider rethinking that philosophy.

Daydreamer
noob

Post#5 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:48 pm

OlivusPrime wrote:I don't have the space or the cash for any kind of arcade machine, but if Sega made one which compiled their greatest hits of the 80s, 90s and 00s, I'd seriously consider rethinking that philosophy.

Yep, which is why I was wondering if they could make a mix and match of there greatest hits you can choose from along with cabinet skin. Put that in with features such as internet, HDMI output, or selling just the electronic hardware (if you already have a cabinet) and I believe this idea would sell, again they would probably cut corners but with today's tech who knows.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#6 » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:45 pm

So kinda like the astro city mini, except larger?

Actually sega doesn't have a good record of making their 90s and 00 arcade games available these days. Maybe because the advanced 3d stuff in the 90s is unusual and hard to emulate.

Daydreamer
noob

Post#7 » Wed Jun 28, 2023 2:23 am

dark wrote:So kinda like the astro city mini, except larger?

Actually sega doesn't have a good record of making their 90s and 00 arcade games available these days. Maybe because the advanced 3d stuff in the 90s is unusual and hard to emulate.

Yep,man ...I thought those were decorative or something, I didn't bother really looking at them. A group or someone will probably come around and do something to bring an arcade home that'll have a bunch of games, or build your own and pay to download the games. Til then I can only hope that emulation for there arcade machines gets done and becomes easy enough to duplicate and run on modern hardware.