Wireless StrikerDC Controller

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Sonic1994DC
Carnage

Re: Wireless StrikerDC Controller

Post#11 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:56 pm

The stories of the triggers kept me away from the wired version. It even has me concerned for this release, too. I really like the design, but fragile triggers would be a deal-breaker to me. There was no suggestion of change in design, so I may sit back on this one. No doubt it will be popular for a bit, but I can wait a year if needed. Quality is really make-or-break for me. If it's sound, I would happily buy every color.[/quote]

I agree with you. It's all about quality, I heard great things about this company's other wireless controllers. So I hope they don't cheap out on the Dreamcast

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#12 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:07 pm

I'll be waiting for a Youtube teardown video and some usage reports. Keeping an eye out for an improved trigger mechanical support and any latency.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post#13 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:22 am

I've got a wired Striker DC and have had zero issues with triggers. either I've been lucky, not played my DC anywhere near as much as others or I'm not just strangling the life out of the triggers. Whichever it is, I've been really happy with mine.

On a side note, I just recently had to fix both sets of triggers in my JPN launch controllers. the pivot pins had snapped on all 4 triggers about 20 years ago and I only just found a 3d print part to fix them.

We can moan about triggers all day long but OEM or 3rd party, they're all susceptible to failure.

I get what folk are saying about the VMU in these but I've been using a 4X OEM vmu for that long I don't even look for a vmu screen anymore. I'll def be getting one of these.

Panja0
lithium

Post#14 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:59 am

Bob Dobbs wrote:
Panja0 wrote:For the right price I’m in!

$49.99 USD. How's that?

Sounds nice!

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#15 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:44 am

Given the VMU is attached with a dongle, and the controller itself is so similar to the Switch Pro controller (minus the right analog stick), I still think getting a Brook adapter is better in this case.

Also, the Mad Little Pixel guy annoys me to no end.

Snake79
lithium

Post#16 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:11 am

I'm all for new controllers and I won't complain when a company releases a new design. There's always room for improvement. I'm not sure why Retro-bit haven't made a Dreamcast controller yet. I have the Saturn wireless controller for PC and it's very good.

I have two of the wired StrikerDC controllers which are okay, hopefully they have made some improvements with the analogue stick and triggers. I am a little concerned with the VMU being in a separate unit though. As previously mentioned, this could be because of a technical limitation, however I have the Dreamconn+ and that works with a VMU attached wirelessly so it can be done. It does seem like a backwards step as in most cases you are not going to be able to see the screen when playing games.

I would have liked to have seen built in memory. Given how cheap memory is today, and the tiny 128kb used for a VMU, it could have been possible to add a few Mb to the controller without adding significant costs. Again, this is a feature of the Dreamconn+, so it can be done and is useful for those that don't care about the screen. Having game saves on multiple VMUs is probably the biggest drawback with the Dreamcast as it's a pain to organise and switch them all the time.

I like the fact this has rumble built in, hopefully this will be an improvement on the OEM rumble packs. The price isn't bad but I will definately wait for some reviews first.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#17 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:46 am

For the vmu you can use a extension câble in order to keep it close to you.
It's a good thing to have include the rumble into the controller, there is probably one engine, It would be the good occasion to put two rumble in each hand like modern controller.

The only thing that's boring me, it's the missing second analog stick, maybe next time...

Snake79
lithium

Post#18 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 10:54 am

fafadou wrote:For the vmu you can use a extension câble in order to keep it close to you.
It's a good thing to have include the rumble into the controller, there is probably one engine, It would be the good occasion to put two rumble in each hand like modern controller.

The only thing that's boring me, it's the missing second analog stick, maybe next time...

You could use an extension cable for the VMU, but then you would have a long cable trailing along the floor, which is no better than having a wired controller which makes this wireless* (with an asterisk). A second thumbstick would be nice but I don't think we will see that.

I think it's clear they are making this controller using parts from their Switch controller so it's not entirely built from the ground up and it keeps their costs down as a result.

For me the perfect Dreamcast controller would be a wireless xbox 360 contoller, with built in runble, a slot for a VMU and built in memory so you could transfer all your saved data into one controller and use it without a VMU if you wish.

dubcity
Super Sonic

Post#19 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:15 pm

Build quality is the only question mark for me with this controller. Besides unreal and quake what other games would use a second analog stick? A true analog stick not a stick mapped to controller buttons.

Maybe in the future they could make some other accessories. An arcade stick or six button controller as alternative. Maybe some new light guns.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#20 » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:23 pm

Rumble built in is not a good thing many 3rd party rumble packs course games to have problems including in homebrew.