Third Party Rumble Packs

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Third Party Rumble Packs

Post#1 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:11 am

A bit more than occasionally, the third party rumble pack I have will reset the controller/VMU. I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue using third party, if it's the controller, or just rumble packs in general. Should I use the official Sega rumble packs instead?
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net

BlueCrab
Developer

Re: Third Party Rumble Packs

Post#2 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:12 am

For the safety of your console, get an official Sega rumble pack. Please.

3rd party rumble packs are notorious for drawing way more current across the controller bus than they should, which will ultimately often lead to the fusistor inside the console on the controller board blowing out. Not only that, but the 3rd party rumble packs are not at all accurate in the effects they provide. That may not be as obvious to most people, but having written homebrew code to deal with rumble packs (and testing that code on multiple different 3rd party packs), it drives me absolutely insane. ;)

Stonerbox
rebel

Post#3 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:27 am

I have a pair of Madcatz rumble packs and nothing bad have ever happened to me or to the previous owner of the console. Thumbs up, at least from a user perspective.

TacT
Uber

Post#4 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:14 am

I had that happen with my ol madcatz rumble pack , NEVER TRUST MADCATZ. I got the official dc rumble pack works much better !

it's still thinking.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#5 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:22 am

BlueCrab wrote:3rd party rumble packs are notorious for drawing way more current across the controller bus than they should

Does that mean it's a bad idea to power a Raspberry Pi using the Dreamcast's controller port? :lol:

CSlWEHsUEAIyB44.jpg large.jpg

Don't worry, I only did this once. ;)
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

scaryred24
Sunday Shootout

Post#6 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:47 pm

Stonerbox wrote:I have a pair of Madcatz rumble packs and nothing bad have ever happened to me or to the previous owner of the console. Thumbs up, at least from a user perspective.

I got one too recently and from my experience I thought my controller was dying because it kept on disconnecting at the last 3rd of Rush Rush Rally Racing. I thought it was intentional for the game to do so.
TacT wrote:I had that happen with my ol madcatz rumble pack , NEVER TRUST MADCATZ. I got the official dc rumble pack works much better !

Good idea. I'll miss that blink red light, but now I would rage quit less on Rush Rush Rally Racing. Never trust 3rd party, not even yourself.
pcwzrd13 wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:3rd party rumble packs are notorious for drawing way more current across the controller bus than they should

Does that mean it's a bad idea to power a Raspberry Pi using the Dreamcast's controller port? :lol:

That is cringe worthy not only that no keyboard adapter out there are name brand, but you may have shaved off a couple of weeks off your Dreamcast lifespan.
My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $2623 ($699 with sales)
  • Games owned: 250
  • Games played: 146 (58%)
  • Hours on record: 1,948.2h

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7087109286Image

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?

Post#7 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:51 pm

scaryred24 wrote:That is cringe worthy not only that no keyboard adapter out there are name brand, but you may have shaved off a couple of weeks off your Dreamcast lifespan.

Bah! I'm not too worried about it. It's all in the name of science! ;)
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

Stonerbox
rebel

Post#8 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:25 pm

pcwzrd13 wrote:
scaryred24 wrote:That is cringe worthy not only that no keyboard adapter out there are name brand, but you may have shaved off a couple of weeks off your Dreamcast lifespan.

Bah! I'm not too worried about it. It's all in the name of science! ;)

Hahaha, awyeah!

-drez01-
Tank Jr.

Post#9 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:44 pm

I have two clear black Performance rumble packs. The coolest part of those models is they also have 200 blocks of memory! The white versions do not. I find the rumble to be way to powerful though unfortunately. Other than that I have no issues

DR TEAMCAST
Uber

Post#10 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:50 am

BlueCrab wrote:For the safety of your console, get an official Sega rumble pack. Please.

3rd party rumble packs are notorious for drawing way more current across the controller bus than they should, which will ultimately often lead to the fusistor inside the console on the controller board blowing out. Not only that, but the 3rd party rumble packs are not at all accurate in the effects they provide. That may not be as obvious to most people, but having written homebrew code to deal with rumble packs (and testing that code on multiple different 3rd party packs), it drives me absolutely insane. ;)

Thanks for the elaborate detailed response. I'll probably pick up an official rumble soon with a 4x card or two for the spare port. Hopefully there is no fuse issues and the soldering iron does not have to come out for using all four ports

pcwzrd13 wrote:

That's pretty awesome

-drez01- wrote:I have two clear black Performance rumble packs. The coolest part of those models is they also have 200 blocks of memory! The white versions do not. I find the rumble to be way to powerful though unfortunately. Other than that I have no issues

Interesting, too bad this was not the case with the first party rumble packs. Or never got the chance to be the case
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net