Dreamcast Was Never That Good

General Dreamcast discussion applies here. Before posting here please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section to see if your topic would fit better in those categories.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, mazonemayu

Forum rules
Please check the other forums in the Dreamcast section before posting here to see if your topic would fit better in those categories. Example: A new game/homebrew release would go in the New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 or if you're having an issue with getting your Dreamcast to work or a game to boot it would go in the Support section: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42
Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Re: Dreamcast Was Never That Good

Post#11 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:14 am

Tarnish wrote:
Dreamcaseal wrote:well i do play mainly on pc. i use a ps4 controller on pc to play phantasy star online blue burst currently. i considered getting a dreamcast controller and adapter but it would cost more and it would be an overall useless controller besides playing pso and n64 games. i actually still like killzone 3 for ps3. ps3 has a good modem, free online. better controls, bigger budget games, a lot more sophisticated gameplay, etc. im mainly saying that playing on dreamcast is a hassle, costs tons of money, to get all the accessories to modernize it, and in the end is inferior to rereleases and sequels.

Cool, then you found what entertains you. And for some people the Dreamcast is still entertaining, you're just not one of them. End of topic.

And btw, the title of the thread is just simply false if you ask me. When the DC was released, it was the most powerful console on the market. Offered online capabilities out of the box. Had the biggest storage media (1 GB GD-rom) at the time. It was the first to have a digital camera for a console. It was one of the first (if not the first) to have a microphone and offer online chat in some games.

Was it later outperformed by other consoles in every aspect? Sure. But for a short period of time, it wasn't just "that good", it was "the best".

upon reflecting i think its pretty sad that sega guy donated millions of his money to sega to keep it afloat even though he went to microsoft begging them to support the dreamcast when they were already working on the xbox. oh wont you please support our underpowered, 56k modem having, single analog stick, childs toy? talk about wasted money giving it to sega only for them to give up on it anyway and make games for other consoles... just really... millions to save sega... sad waste of money really...

Dreamcaseal
letterbomb

Post#12 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 am

also, if i hear about shenmue one more time im gonna blow my brains out. /rant

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#13 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:34 am

Dreamcaseal wrote:also, if i hear about shenmue one more time im gonna blow my brains out. /rant
Hey have you heard that Shenmue 3 is scheduled to be released in December 2017? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

HuntrRose
Vagabond

Post#14 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:08 am

I knew I should have bought an XBOX...

Xiden
Developer

Post#15 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:28 pm

Dreamcaseal wrote:besides being a rather exotic and revolutionary console it had hardly any games worth making sequels to. the few sequels that did make it to other consoles and pc become much better than the original dreamcast ones. to be honest most dreamcast games didnt age well. they have this almost mediocre college level design about them. basic models and textures. no advanced rendering tech involved. bad animation. overall a very lack luster subpar and never AAA vibe about them besides maybe one or two games. the rest are dead arcade ports. im self aware enough to know i only like the dreamcast because of its exotic look, when it played a role in my life, and one or two games that kept me playing it. besides that it was nothing more than a demo disc player.

Obvious troll is obvious...

krssn
Metallic

Post#16 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:30 pm

Dreamcaseal wrote:/rant

Let's hope so...

Your rhetoric is as wanted as a vegetarian shouting "meat is bad" at the butcher's.

edit: typo
Last edited by krssn on Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#17 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:32 pm

We all have out own opinions on things and that's great! Its what makes things interesting, however im really don't know why this thread was made as everyone here are dreamcast fanatics and all this does and make people angry and waste time. its like comparing steamboat willie with today's movies, well of course their was no color it was simply not possible for the time but that doesn't make it automatically suck

Thmanx
Anarki

Post#18 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:52 pm

Remember the times folks

DC blew our minds back in the day because we saw true 480p/60 gameplay as pretty much the standard for Sega games. DC showed what smooth frame rates and tight controls could do. Hell before the DC, you couldn't even drive cars right since no consoles had analog triggers.

Dreamcast showed to my eyes the first time console games didn't have visible polygons. Hands had actual fingers, faces moved with animation. No more blurry N64 this, or wobbly PS integer geometry that. Just smooth, colorful, sharp amazing visuals.

Again, remember the times; back then, DC was a break through.

https://youtu.be/aouEyoAVBBw

Gary_b
Quantic Dream

Post#19 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:59 pm

Thmanx wrote:Remember the times folks

DC blew our minds back in the day because we saw true 480p/60 gameplay as pretty much the standard for Sega games. DC showed what smooth frame rates and tight controls could do. Hell before the DC, you couldn't even drive cars right since no consoles had analog triggers.

Dreamcast showed to my eyes the first time console games didn't have visible polygons. Hands had actual fingers, faces moved with animation. No more blurry N64 this, or wobbly PS integer geometry that. Just smooth, colorful, sharp amazing visuals.

Again, remember the times; back then, DC was a break through.

https://youtu.be/aouEyoAVBBw
Agreed 8-)

BaffleBlend
dark night

Post#20 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:20 pm

Gr8 b8 m8 8/8

Seriously, I don't get why some people just go on fansites just to complain about the thing the site's a fan of. Did the DC have problems? Yes. Yes it did. But I think most of us already know that.
Can play online, but doesn't very often.

Avatar commissioned from Steven Borgers (here's his Tumblr and DeviantArt).