Import(ant) Information !!

Discuss Dreamcast related events and other Dreamcast websites here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Neohound
Gold Lion

Import(ant) Information !!

Post#1 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Traditionally I've always obtained my japanese game and accessories from an import shop nearby, but since it closed down I have been buying more and more off Ebay. I'm in the UK btw.

I've recently ordered stuff from Japan but don' t seem to have paid any duty/import tax ? What's the deal there ?

Also, if ordering from Japan, the postage often seems to have an option to post without tracking and insurance. This can mean paying up to $35 less but I'm wondering whether that's foolhardy ?

Alec1382
Vagabond

Re: Import(ant) Information !!

Post#2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am

You don't have to pay an import tax on everything you order internationally. Import taxes are randomly tacked on to random packages. It's really luck of the draw, but having to pay these taxes is very rare. Of an estimated 50-65 packages I've ordered internationally, I've not once had to pay these taxes.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the Japanese post. I don't imagine the tracking is quite as vital as the insurance. If you forgo one, skip on the tracking.

dark
Shark Patrol

Post#3 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:29 am

Has your stuff from ebay arrived already? At least in the US, all mail coming from a foreign country is going to get sorted. There is usually a sticker on the mail from the seller that says what is inside and what the value is. For a DC game, usually the seller writes "CD. $10" In the US, you don't have to pay much of any tax on goods that are below a certain amount and since I'm always buying cheap stuff, I never have to pay import duties or anything. Not sure what the tax law is in the UK, but it's probably similar?

As for tracking and insurance - that's up to you if it makes you feel more secure. I've never been ripped off by a Japanese seller - Although I always buy from well established people with overwhelmingly positive feedback on ebay like the Yamatoku store

elmagicochrisg
Metallic

Post#4 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 am

dark wrote:I've never been ripped off by a Japanese seller - Although I always buy from well established people with overwhelmingly positive feedback on ebay like the Yamatoku store

Japanese sellers are the best. It's like those guys don't know what scratched discs are. Most of the time games look like they've just been unsealed yesterday...

Western sellers on the other hand...
Come, bow before your King!... Bow ya shits!...

Dreamcast DUX Limited Edition for sale (new and sealed)