DreamPi NOOBS-compatible image

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.
MrTamkis
shadow

Post#1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Background

While setting up a new Raspberry Pi with DreamPi distro, the smallest micro SD card I had on hand was a whopping 16GB SDHC one. Considering how much excess free space on the SD card I would have after the DreamPi install, I figured I would look into installing other Linux distros on the same SD card via a multi-boot setup. Unfortunately, the official DreamPi distro image is a raw image (containing both a boot and root partition inside) and needs to be written directly to the card; thus it is not easily partitionable for booting with other Linux distros.

About

In order to get around the lack of multi-booting with DreamPi for myself and others, as well as to help out new people creating a DreamPi setup with a simple installer, I have created an unofficial NOOBS-compatible DreamPi image! The download package includes a NOOBS-formatted DreamPi image (based off of DreamPi v1.7), a DreamPi OS icon, and an informative image slideshow about DreamPi during installation.

For those unfamiliar with it, NOOBS (New Out Of Box Setup) is a simple bootloader and operating system downloader/installer for Raspberry Pi. By downloading/installing NOOBS-formatted distro images through NOOBS, the distros will be installed in such a way as to allow for easy multi-boot. By extension, this image is compatible with PINN (PINN Is Not NOOBS), which is an enhanced version of NOOBS that I highly recommend using over vanilla NOOBS.

PINN has the following extended features over NOOBS:

• Various ways to install OSes
    • Install from SD Card (offline)
    • Install from online server (with a wider variety of OSes)
    • External Media
      • USB Flash Drive
      • External SD Card via a USB SD Card reader
  • Install additional 512MB ext4 Data partitions, for general data usage
  • Reserve empty partitions ("project spaces") for future OSes.
  • Download and archive to the SD Card the OSes from the online server, for offline installation
  • Easily reinstall OSes if something goes wrong (without having to redo a fresh PINN setup)
  • Replacement and upgrading of OS partitions
  • Dual PINN firmware support to handle Pre-Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ models and later models
  • Various maintenance capabilities
    • OS maintenance utility
    • Recovery shell
    • SD card clone utility
    • Password restorer
    • File System Checker

Usage

To use this NOOBS-compatible DreamPi image through NOOBS/PINN, you will need to extract the download's contents to the root of the SD Card, and then install DreamPi through the bootloader.

It is a little more complicated than this, however, and I recommend backing up your SD card before doing anything in case you do something wrong.

• Upgrading an existing DreamPi partition from an older NOOBS image to a newer one on an existing PINN setup

• If your version of PINN does not have a "replace [OS]" feature in the maintenance menu, please upgrade PINN to the latest version
      • Feature added after PINN ~v2.4.5 (Feb 2018)
      • Feature is necessary to upgrade the DreamPi partition!
      • Upgrade PINN
        • Online update feature
          OR
        • Manual install
          • Copy all files/folders from new PINN zip folder onto SD card except Recovery.cmdline
          • Recovery.cmdline on a fresh PINN install "includes the 'runinstaller' option by default. WARNING: If you DO copy recovery.cmdline by mistake, it will wipe out all your existing installed operating systems due to the runinstaller option! If upgrading an existing PINN system, please check recovery.cmdline does not include the 'runinstaller' option."

• Extract the contents of the newer DreamPi NOOBs image archive onto the root of an external medium (USB Stick or USB SD Card Reader+SD Card)
    • Boot into PINN with the external medium inserted
      • DreamPi OS entry should say "[NEW VERSION]" and have a USB icon
    • Click "More (m)" button to navigate to the "Maintenance" menu
      • Check "DreamPi" OS and click "Replace"
      • Select the new DreamPi image to replace the old partition in the dialog box that appears
      • Click "OK"
      • A warning dialog box shall appear warning you that all data on the DreamPi parition will be deleted during the OS replacement. Click "Yes" if you wish to continue.
    • Let the latest DreamPi image replace the old partition
    • Done!

• Setting up a new SD Card:

• Format the SD Card to FAT32
        • This will erase all data on it!
      • Download latest version of either NOOBS (full version) or PINN (latter highly recommended)
      • Put the contents of either download onto the root of the SD Card
      • Download my DreamPi NOOBS compatible image

• Extract the contents from my download onto the root of the SD card; overwrite any files/folders.
        • Also copy the folders for any additional NOOBS-compatible OS images there too (for NOOBS setup, if necessary)
        • To quote the PINN documentation:
          "Make sure to add any OSes to the /os/ folder before you boot [NOOBS/PINN] in [an] RPi for the first time.
          Otherwise you will find the partition has been shrunk to its minimum size and
          there will be no room to add any more OSes to the card later."

• Place SD Card into Raspberry Pi, and boot the Pi up.
      • Install the OSes (DreamPi and others).
        • Important: For NOOBS, make sure you check you all of the OSes you want installed at once!
          Installing a single OS may wipe any currently existing ones, and you aren't easily able to change OSes installed afterwards!
      • Enjoy your new multi-boot capabilities!
    • Setting up an existing SD Card with NOOBS/PINN already installed

• NOOBS Lite
        • Upgrade to either NOOBS Full-version or PINN (recommended), then follow the "Setting up a new SD Card" section.
          This is required, because we need offline installation for the DreamPi NOOBS image!
      • NOOBS Full-version
        • Follow steps in "Setting up a new SD Card section" for NOOBS setup.
          Backup data before doing so, and make sure you either have local access to all OSes

OR

• Upgrade to superior PINN instalation
      • PINN
        • Format USB Stick/external SD Card to FAT32
          • (if not already; USB Stick/SD Card will be erased!)
        • Download my DreamPi NOOBS image, extract contents onto the root of USB Stick/external Card, overwrite any files/folders
        • Boot up Pi with USB Stick/USB Card reader+SD Card inserted, install DreamPi

Download!
    (v1.1, based off of DreamPi v1.7)

[b]Note
    : Please apply this bugfix if boot issues occur with DreamPi v1.7

Image webpage
    (To be updated as DreamPi is updated)

Credits

• Kazade - For making DreamPi
    • Shuouma, et. al - for resurrecting many offline Dreamcast games back online!
    • Creators of NOOBS and PINN
    • Sega - For making the Sega Dreamcast
Last edited by MrTamkis on Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreamPi NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Forum thread
Project page

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Sunday Shootout

Re: DreamPi NOOBS-compatible image

Post#2 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:49 pm

Impressive! I might look into this. Would be nice to use my rpi for more.

mistamontiel
DC-Talk Addict

Post#3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:32 pm

Indeed the subforums are a-too-plenty

Nice writeup

itsthinkingstill
Vagabond

Post#4 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Very nice! nice to see my Saturn footage immortalized :D

Xiden
Wazza

Post#5 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:39 am

You should PM impulse to add this guide to guides page :) This is very helpful, great write up!

Nz17
Doom

Post#6 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:00 am

Sweet!

MobiusX
undertow

Post#7 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:33 pm

Very nice guide. There's also a method to get DreamPi working with BerryBoot, for those who prefer that option:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10068&p=102437#p102437

MrTamkis
shadow

Post#8 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:21 am

I have updated the DreamPi NOOBS-Compatible image to be based off the latest DreamPi v1.7 image that was recently released, as well as the guide. The guide now details how to upgrade your DreamPi partition from an older version to a newer version via the latest NOOBS image, and clarifies a few items. The upgrade requires the latest version of PINN, which has now introduced a "replace" OS function, as well as dual-firmware support to handle Raspberry Pi models 3B+ and newer and also older models. This OS replacement feature will upgrade DreamPi with the newer image, without deleting or modifying other partitions within your multi-boot setup on PINN.

Do note that this image may need the speed bugfix applied to make it boot consistently.
DreamPi NOOBS-Compatible Image:
Forum thread
Project page

DR TEAMCAST
Rank 9

Post#9 » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:52 pm

MrTamkis wrote:I have updated the DreamPi NOOBS-Compatible image to be based off the latest DreamPi v1.7 image that was recently released, as well as the guide. The guide now details how to upgrade your DreamPi partition from an older version to a newer version via the latest NOOBS image, and clarifies a few items. The upgrade requires the latest version of PINN, which has now introduced a "replace" OS function, as well as dual-firmware support to handle Raspberry Pi models 3B+ and newer and also older models. This OS replacement feature will upgrade DreamPi with the newer image, without deleting or modifying other partitions within your multi-boot setup on PINN.

Do note that this image may need the speed bugfix applied to make it boot consistently.

great job MrTamkis 8-)
ImageImage
Forum for Dreamcast and Saturn browsers http://bb.dreampipe.net
Media, News, Events and more for your Sega Dreamcast internet browser at http://dreampipe.net