Just a thought

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Markdanni123
minority

Just a thought

Post#1 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:22 am

Was thinking with all the games coming back online with there features like voice chat and stuff is it possible to bring things to the online that are not there on the first place like bringing online voice chat to say PSO?

Roareye
Rank 9

Re: Just a thought

Post#2 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:47 am

Markdanni123 wrote:Was thinking with all the games coming back online with there features like voice chat and stuff is it possible to bring things to the online that are not there on the first place like bringing online voice chat to say PSO?

I'm gonna go with no, but I'm not an expert. While voice chat in PSO would be a Godsend, the only chance we would have to implement it would require us to have all of the original source code (I imagine). The game isn't coded to detect the microphone nor allow audio to pass through online. I also doubt there'd be any spare RAM in the DC to run a program alongside PSO specifically for voice chat (it would require a disc image designed for it, but I reckon it would overload the DC easily).

Games like Alien Front Online and Planet Ring were designed with voice chat in mind, so they assign a portion of the internet data with the microphone audio. PSO has no reason to do this.

It might be easier (potentially, again I'm not a coder) for a Dreampi mod to allow audio communication between players via a PC Headset connected to the Raspberry Pi. The DC's connection speed is only 56k max, so plenty of Broadband speed left for audio transfer and it wouldn't require the game to be modded in order to function. However the efficiency and implementation would be on others who know how to code so that'd be down to them to decide if it's plausible or not.

Markdanni123
minority

Post#3 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:55 am

Yeah I kind of thought that when I first thought of it, I know voice chat was in it’s early infancy when these games where made, would still love me some voice chat on PSO though

lozz
core

Post#4 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:21 am

The best option at present is to use the various Discord channels. Sylverant (the folks who host the PSO servers) have their own one, and there are voice chat channels in there. There is also a very well organized channel dedicated to online play which has text and voice channels, both of which are used regularly, for all of the online DC games: https://discord.gg/fhX8kHPj. I have Discord set up on my mobile with headphones on when playing DC and it works like a charm.

Markdanni123
minority

Post#5 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:59 pm

Yeah I don’t have a main computer, my main driver was a pi 400 for a while but I ended up using the SD card I had my OS on for my Nintendo switch so my Dreamcast and switch and my main things, but I suppose alien front online will be my main go to

VKNIGHT20
core

Post#6 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:16 pm

While something like that could be theoretically possible (i’m not a coder so dont quote me), I dont think there would be much of an interest. I agree with Lozz that discord is really the best way to do it. Plus Dreamcast Mic’s are somewhat uncommon nowadays.
John 3:16

Markdanni123
minority

Post#7 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:32 am

Yeah I don’t have anything like that at my disposal to use to I will just use it when I am playing alien front, same way I used it for COD on PS4