Keyboard and Mouse

Online games, how to get online, and anything involving Dreamcast online can be discussed here.

Moderator: pcwzrd13

markush
noob

Keyboard and Mouse

Post#1 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:49 pm

Are the keyboard and mouse necessary?

Do I just bite the bullet and get them.
I just got up online and haven't poked around too much. Is it worth it for Quake 3 alone?

I have a Brook Wingman SD and have used that for a keyboard for Typing of the Dead. So could just get a mouse and I think that could work, not sure if there's lag. Plus thinking I'd want the matching grey set.

Holsten
fragger

Re: Keyboard and Mouse

Post#2 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:50 am

A mouse is very nice to have for dreamcast first person shooters but not necessary.
Holsten knallt am dollsten.

OlivusPrime
dirty sailor

Post#3 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:29 pm

Keyboard is definitely important for online chat, I'd feel left out if I was playing online without mine. If you have one rigged up with a Brook Wingman, I'd imagine there's not much benefit to getting an official one unless you're getting a mouse and want to spend the extra cash to have a matching set.

As Holsten says, the mouse is excellent if you play FPSes (Quake, Unreal Tournament), though that's the only reason why I own mine.

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#4 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:32 pm

I snagged a BEAUTIFUL Japanese skeleton keyboard for $35 back this past Autumn and extra $10 for shipping, and it is super awesome having a less wieldy keyboard compared to NA/PAL ones. Layout is mostly familiar and there are a few different keys but for the most part it is a slimmed down QWERTY board sans keypad, but absolutely awesome.

I did grab a matching clear Japanese mouse to go with my skeleton smoke grey console, but that cost like $63 total shipping included. Mouse is nice to have to have it for FPS games but as it is an aincent ball mouse it is not as ideal as laser ones. Also, Japanese mice are like 10% smaller than the ones from the other regions and it lacks the extra buttons those versions have as well.

The Brook Wingman SD controller adapter actually supports USB keyboards, not sure if they ever supported modern mice too but they at least did from the beginning support keyboards. So I mean you can use any modern mechanical keyboard on DC, but this one would be mental to own!

https://higround.co/products/dreamcast-keyboard

redjeff76
Anarki

Post#5 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:25 pm

Keyboard is an utmost needed accessory. All the online games you can enter data and chat with the keyboard. I can't believe how much I use it. But the mouse isn't really useful unless you use it for like Quake III aiming.

DCGX
Vagabond

Post#6 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:55 pm

That skeleton keyboard is so cool. I have a mechanical keyboard for my PC at home, but I move my fingers so low and so fast when typing I regularly make mistakes. Same with the DC keyboard. I might have to track one of those down.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#7 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm

I will soon finish an adapter for connecting USB keyboards/mouses to DreamCast

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Post#8 » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:29 pm

Wow that is going to be such a useful adapter as nobody can really use modern USB optical mice. I wonder why 3rd party developers haven't attempted to make any plug and play mice for DC? Surely should be relatively easy to take an already produced good quality gaming mouse and rebrand for DC.

DCGX wrote:That skeleton keyboard is so cool. I have a mechanical keyboard for my PC at home, but I move my fingers so low and so fast when typing I regularly make mistakes. Same with the DC keyboard. I might have to track one of those down.

Here is a guy showing Quake 3 Arena with this particular keyboard so the WASD key placement is not so bad.

Johne
fragger

Post#9 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:13 am

megavolt85 wrote:I will soon finish an adapter for connecting USB keyboards/mouses to DreamCast

That will be great, specially for keyboard! Will you keep using STM microcontrollers for this project?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#10 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:11 pm

Johne wrote:That will be great, specially for keyboard!

keyboard alredy work fine
Today I corrected the definition of new mice and sent it to beta testers

Johne wrote:Will you keep using STM microcontrollers for this project?

no, need two kernrel, first for USB, second for maple
now i use rp2040