DC Keyboard: Any good teardown guides?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Elliander
lithium

DC Keyboard: Any good teardown guides?

Post#1 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:16 am

Hi, I purchased a Dreamcast Keyboard and while it looks very good, the keys apparently stick. (at first I thought it was keyboard lag the way it's acting) This has the effect of a key press either not registering in game or - worse - the input repeats itself until I press the key again. I'm thinking I need to remove every key and clean it well, but I am not really sure how best to go about that. I'd rather not break it while trying to remove the keys and I don't know how they are put together to feel comfortable just prying them off.

Are there any good tear down guides that anyone could recommend so I can familiarize myself with it's inner workings before I get started? I'd like to be able to chat in PSO quickly.

Thanks!

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Re: DC Keyboard: Any good teardown guides?

Post#2 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:19 am

Open it up, pop the keys out from the back side or use a key puller. It's a standard rubber dome keyboard, no surprises.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast

WedgeStratos
blackout!

Post#3 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:29 pm

Is this with an official Dreamcast keyboard, or a third-party one like the Innovation brand? I've found I can't hit much more than two keys at a time, so there's not much for rollover, at least shooters are playable. But yes, I find keys get stuck, likely due to polling in some way. I've been planning to fix my controller board with a polyfuse to see if that fixes it, but I doubt it will do much.

Elliander
lithium

Post#4 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Looks like I ended up getting the Innovation brand by mistake >.< Is there a quality difference between OEM and Innovation?

I do see the screws in the back, so I will probably try opening that way to start with.

EDIT: I found a teardown! It's for the OEM, but should be the same!

https://imgur.com/a/4wmdp

I ordred a keycap puller and will follow the cleaning guide referenced in the above link and will report back on how it goes. In the meantime I think I will refrain from PSO teams until I can properly communicate in game.

SEGA RPG FAN
Developer

Post#5 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:34 pm

Well, the official keyboards don't have the rollover issue. There are also two main styles released in the West. The first slightly larger one I guess you could say is higher quality than the later more lightweight one.
PSO Dreamcast 100% Legit: Eda FOmarl, Automaton HUcast