Help creating patched backups for the capcom RGB disabled titles.

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Sisterray777
shadow

Help creating patched backups for the capcom RGB disabled titles.

Post#1 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:08 pm

So I recently found out after upgrading to an RGB set up that Vampire Chronicle for Matching Service and Street Fighter Alpha 3 (as well as some other games I dont have) don't display properly. Vamprie for example just shows the top left corner and is wholly unplayable this way. I heard there were patched versions of these games that function properly in RGB mode, and I would like to burn a patched copy of these two games to disc so I can play it on my CRT. I have a couple of questions regarding how I can achieve this if you guys wouldn't mind helping me out.
Firstly when it comes to burning games, I currently only have 800MB Taiyo Yuden discs which seem to work fine for older consoles, but I see DC games tend to be about 1.1GB+, and if I recall correctly thats just to reflect the official GD-Rom size and the 'game content' itself is often smaller than this. I so far have not been able to successfully burn Vampire Chronicle using the overburn flag from a cue/bin format. What is the best way to achieve this with the discs I currently have, is there a certain file format I should prioritize or burning software (I've been using cdrdao in the terminal on linux) or am I just out of luck here and need bigger discs?
Also what is the best resource for finding said patches? I've seen a couple varying patches for Vampire specifically but some seem a bit old and Im wondering what the best is for this purpose and how to patch them.
tl;dr: I want to play my Vampire and SF Alpha 3 games on my CRT in RGB mode, how can I burn a functional/patched copy to substitute for my disc. Cheers thanks for reading hope this isn't too dumb a question.

Sisterray777
shadow

Re: Help creating patched backups for the capcom RGB disabled titles.

Post#2 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:30 pm

Ok so bit of an update I found this surprisingly recent thread on the same niche topic nearly right after posting this: (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15163).
After many unsuccessful burns, I got the game to boot properly in the correct aspect ratio by applying the LBA and the RGB patch to the echelon .cdi version of the game. It loads up until the character select on the various modes but doesn't actually load a match it just black screens and I have to restart. Im not sure if this is the result of a failure on my end to burn properly or just a bad copy. If anyone has an idea of how to fix this Id appreciate it. Im on a japanese NTSC dreamcast console.
Secondly, while this thread was extremely helpful for this issue despite it not being completely solved on my end, where can I find the proper resources to do a similar patch for some of the other capcom games, I would need a specific .cdi version I would assume as well as an RGB patch and an LBA patch (the latter I assume is to get it to boot on a disc rather than GD-Emu which I dont have). Specifically Id really like to be able to fix a copy of SFA3, but at some point id like to get Giga Wing also so if there is some link that has all the patches I need please let me know! Thanks for reading.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:38 pm

Proper GDI image is non downsampled content Cdi images cut content and downsampled music and videos to fit.. and so they run on slow cdr mil cd.. Full bitrate videos do not run on a cdr.. I only use vga if they game dont support it then i dont play it..

I know this not want you want to know.. But you was saying gdrom disk can fit on cdr not with out downsampling and sometimes cut content music sound effects and low qualty ..

vs Kevin
noob

Post#4 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:45 pm

You can also play the Giga Wing PAL version - you just need to select 60hz if your TV doesn't support 50.