Dreamcast scratches discs

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Zarazek2000
shadow

Dreamcast scratches discs

Post#1 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:58 am

Hello! First thing I want to say is that I'm really happy to be here! I'm new here, I've got my Dreamcast since 2020 and I've been here countless times, but until now I haven't had an account here. Oh, and one thing, I'm from Poland, so if my English is bad in some places, then I'm really sorry. Alright, to the topic. So, I've got a problem with my SEGA Dreamcast since literally beginning. For some reason it scratches my discs. I was searching the internet for the solution already and no luck. Do you guys know how to fix it maybe?
Attachments
20220428_113706.jpg

Londinium
dirty sailor

Re: Dreamcast scratches discs

Post#2 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:12 am

It cannot be the laser, since lasers can't normally harm discs.

It's not much, but that's one possibility shut down. You sure the discs weren't scratched beforehand?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#3 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:48 am

Only thing depressed or bent spindle spin it your self and see if it's touching the case under the disk cant be the laser ..

krovellium
fire

Post#4 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:26 pm

Check the disc housing. There may be some gunk or debris that the disc rubs agains and scratches it. As Londinium said, make sure the Dreamcast is scratching them, and not poor handling.

Zarazek2000
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:02 pm

Londinium wrote:It cannot be the laser, since lasers can't normally harm discs.

It's not much, but that's one possibility shut down. You sure the discs weren't scratched beforehand?

Yes, I'm sure. For example I bought Sonic Adventure 2 and the disc was in perfect condition and now it is not sadly.

Zarazek2000
shadow

Post#6 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:06 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Only thing depressed or bent spindle spin it your self and see if it's touching the case under the disk cant be the laser ..

It's funny but it isn't touching the case. I don't understand what could be scratching my discs..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#7 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:14 pm

Zarazek2000 wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Only thing depressed or bent spindle spin it your self and see if it's touching the case under the disk cant be the laser ..

It's funny but it isn't touching the case. I don't understand what could be scratching my discs..

Not the laser got be touching ether the case being at speed the spindle is bent you should be hearing scraping sounds there should be nothing like that..

motor or that's all it can be life is boring
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarazek2000
shadow

Post#8 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:16 pm

krovellium wrote:Check the disc housing. There may be some gunk or debris that the disc rubs agains and scratches it. As Londinium said, make sure the Dreamcast is scratching them, and not poor handling.

Well, I think that my Dreamcast is clean enough. I don't see anything there that could scratch discs. Also, I care about my GDs, so definitely something happens inside the Dreamcast that cause all of this.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#9 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:18 pm

Zarazek2000 wrote:
krovellium wrote:Check the disc housing. There may be some gunk or debris that the disc rubs agains and scratches it. As Londinium said, make sure the Dreamcast is scratching them, and not poor handling.

Well, I think that my Dreamcast is clean enough. I don't see anything there that could scratch discs. Also, I care about my GDs, so definitely something happens inside the Dreamcast that cause all of this.

See above can only be the motor spindle being bent or worn out that's it and it has to be touching the case under load it will push down and touch the case ether broken mounting point and the gdrom drive is too low or high in the case..

100% the disk is touching the case

Zarazek2000
shadow

Post#10 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:49 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:
Zarazek2000 wrote:

See above can only be the motor spindle being bent or worn out that's it and it has to be touching the case under load it will push down and touch the case ether broken mounting point and the gdrom drive is too low or high in the case..

100% the disk is touching the case

Alright, so what should I do about this? Can I repair it or if not is there maybe a way to replace it?