VGA Issues

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MountainDewFKR
rebel

VGA Issues

Post#1 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:37 am

Ive been having issues with my Dreamcast all of a sudden.
When i plug it into my crt monitor im getting a fuzzy picture and a slight hum .
If i jiggle the connector in the av port i can sometimes get it clear up but as soon as i let go its at it again.
Thought it was the AV port itself. Somebody suggested i try using another source.
Last night i hooked the dc up to consumer crt via svideo. No issues at all
I ordered the exact same vga cable off amazon since i could get it in one day to try it out
im getting the exact same thing
so question is what VGA cable would you recommend for the DC?
Is there something i should look at on the mobo that relates to the VGA side of things?
Just find it weird that 2 different cables are getting the same exact issue yet no issue with svideo.
I was running the first VGA cable for weeks with no issue
ill mention this even though it shouldnt matter, only thing i did different was add a SLG to the line. But i ran it afew times with no issues. I assume just a coincidence. Ive been running xbox360 via vga with the SLG on the same monitor with no issues.
Ive cleaned the av port with deoxit and toothbrush
Also note i have been switching from Vga monitor to regular crt afew times a week. But that should be enough to damage the av connector.

This is the cable ive been using
https://www.amazon.com/Kaico-Sega-Dreamcast-Cable-Simple/dp/B072QCSW6Q
My other Dreamcast is a Naomi 1

MountainDewFKR
rebel

Re: VGA Issues

Post#2 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:31 am

So i found the issue.
Ground pin from the AV connector came off.
The small pcb inside the AV connector also broke off in that area.
Now i need to source a dead mobo so i can pull the connector off of it.
Let me know if you happen to have a spare connector laying around or a dead mobo i can source it from.
Will make a WTB thread

My other Dreamcast is a Naomi 1