Dreamcast Toyota Car Demo Disks

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

bingobongo
minority

Re: Dreamcast Toyota Car Demo Disks

Post#21 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:04 am

fraggle200 wrote:
bingobongo wrote:I'm still surprised that people are prepared to pay so much when they're just interactive car demonstrations - and nothing more. Sure, fun for a minute or two, but that's about it. I guess some people have money to burn?

If you want a full JPN set then these are gonna play a big part of doing it I suppose.

Has anyone ever claimed to own a full set?

That I'd love to see!

I see two options. 1) money to burn, so they buy up a set like the one mentioned in this thread or 2) still with money to burn, but more patience and willing to search each one out individually on Japanese auction sites, and it slowly grows from there. Either option, there's still no guarantee you'll find all of them within a decade or two (at a guess) Some might never turn up at all.

I pity the person going for a full Japanese set that also includes these because, regardless of how determined you are (or how rich) you may still never get there. But yeah, if they manage to pull it off then they have my total respect for their achievement :)

Surely the toughest set to collect on the Dreamcast by some margin? I say this as someone who once owned a full set of the Kapitel/Birdcage drama discs and sold them for peanuts back in the day. Those are even worse because there's no game or anything to play - at least with the Toyota discs you can do something once they load. A full set of the Kapitel discs would be around $1000 depending on where and when you look. Oddly enough, I thought I'd sold all of them, but I found a duplicate of part1 I must have forgotten about when I was going through some boxes last year. I'm keeping on to it for sentimental reasons at this point - and kicking myself (a tiny bit) for selling the rest so early on.

mrneo240
Rank 9

Post#22 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:21 pm

How it money to burn if it's your hobby?

bingobongo
minority

Post#23 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:56 am

$2000 on discs that you'll probably only ever boot up once or twice to have a look at?

That I would describe as money to burn.

Look, if it's someone's hobby then great - I'm not being critical here, It's just an expression. If I'd been born a richer man, then I'm pretty sure I'd go for the set myself. But, alas, I was not.

Just depends on how much you love your hobby.

Did you win that auction?

My main point is that a person may never see all the Toyota discs for sale at all for many, many, years - so it would require not only a lot of dedication but also a fair bit of luck to actually get a full set. And, so far, I don't think we've ever seen one person with a full set? I know there was another similar sized set sold about 10 (or more) years ago. This is only the second that I've heard about - and neither were complete. Actually, I think it was closer to 15 years ago that other set sold on Yahoo auctions for a similar price. That's a long gap.