VA0 problem without signal or audio when starting from cold

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

pitito
dark night

VA0 problem without signal or audio when starting from cold

Post#1 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:16 am

My Dreamcast VA0 recently has this problem.
The fact is that when you turn on the console for the first time it does not give a video or audio signal, however, when it has been on for a couple of minutes with this problem, you turn it off and turn it back on and it works normally.
If you delay turning it on for about 10 or 15 seconds, this fault will occur again.
I have tried another source and another reader in case the problem stemmed from them, but no luck.

I have replaced all the capacitors of the board, but the problem persists, so there must be a faulty component.

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: VA0 problem without signal or audio when starting from cold

Post#2 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:43 pm

Long shot, but check the fan. Resolder the connector on the small controller board where the fan attaches. It's a frequent sight of a cold solder joint caused by connecting/reconnecting the connector. Check continuity with an ohm meter.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

pitito
dark night

Post#3 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:26 pm

Ok, I'll try, but I think the VA0s don't have safety in the fan,
only the VA1.
The ignition safety in the VA0 is in the thermal fuse and in the reader, from what I have read.
The thermal fuse has continuity, so it is fine, and I have also tried with several readers

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#4 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:39 pm

pitito wrote:Ok, I'll try, but I think the VA0s don't have safety in the fan,
only the VA1.
The ignition safety in the VA0 is in the thermal fuse and in the reader, from what I have read.
The thermal fuse has continuity, so it is fine, and I have also tried with several readers

Indeed, it is 2 wire fan (no rpm). Do you have a heat gun & flux to reflow soldering points on the major ic's & elsewhere? It really does sound like a cold joint somewhere.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

pitito
dark night

Post#5 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:22 pm

Yes, I have a heat gun and flux, but I didn't think it could come from an integrated