DreamShell Won't Boot Past the DreamShell Splash Screen

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum

Moderator: pcwzrd13

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: DreamShell Won't Boot Past the DreamShell Splash Screen

Post#11 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:27 pm

sonicsam41 wrote:Hi All! Wanted to happily report that the rev. 1 Dreamcast is running DreamShell properly. I also wanted to note that this one did NOT read the CD-ROMs that I burned, and I had to use the disc that came with the Serial to SD adapter. Now with that disc and the contents of the DS folder on the root of my SD card, DreamShell launches and works no problem. Thanks for that hint, @MoeFoh !

Search for videos on "Dreamcast laser calibration", if your having issues with discs not reading.
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#12 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:01 am

the disc read fine, its probably the burner not working...

sonicsam41
shadow

Post#13 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 7:37 am

Well, my burned CD-ROMs read fine in my rev. 0 console, so I think it may come down to quirks between the hardware revisions. As @MoeFoh suggested, it's possibly laser related, as it took a few attempts for one of my GD-ROMs to dump. That one had some small scratches, but I was able to play through that whole game with no problems on the rev. 0 console. I know the dumping process in general is more sensitive to disc damage than regular playback is, and considering all the other games I dumped did so successfully on the first try makes me think it's the laser. If it becomes problematic I can try adjusting the potentiometer, but for now it's ok.

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#14 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:29 pm

deluxux wrote:Just to be clear its /SDCARD/DS/
NOT /SDCARD/ "loose files"

Try my ZIP including RetroDream.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Asu1Er6iW4jLeqEhWl8 ... k?e=t3AX3g

Try this CDI from RazorX its got all files on disc, might help for troubleshooting...
https://mega.nz/file/1BkTyICZ#t62L2wspg ... QAuXd1qDs8

Thank you very much! Your zip file and the DS folder tip made the program work! Now we just need to learn how to run the games.