Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Re: Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Post by fraggle200 »

fraggle200 wrote:
ateam wrote:
Ant2no78 wrote:Unfortunately kof evolution looks very washed out in vga via dchdmi.

When running the original through dchdmi (cable select) it looks clearer.
Interesting, my experience is quite different. If anything, they look nearly identical, as DCDigital is taking the 240p input in "cable select" mode and scaling it up per your resolution settings. Meanwhile, the VGA patch (I believe) is just line-doubling 240p to 480p, after which DCDigital would scale that up per your resolution settings.

Even if I'm wrong about the line-doubling, it doesn't make much sense that you're seeing such a discrepancy. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else has the same experience as you.
lemme check on my lunch break.
Well, after some pretty basic testing I've ended up with the same result as @Ant2no78. I'm running DCHDMI HW1 in 1080P for these images.

Here's the VGA output
vga.jpg

Here's the Cable Select output
cable select.jpg

Maybe it's just my eyes but with the Cable Select mode selected you get the raw pixels, which is what I'd have thought we would have got with VGA. Looks like there's some sort of filtering happening to the VGA signal as it's fuzzy/washed out, for the lack of a better term. Looks like in "Terry", we're starting to lose the top and bottom of the lettering when in VGA, compared to Cable Select.

Ant2no78
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: sega rally 2

Post by Ant2no78 »

Thanks for confirming. I was getting worried about my dreamcast.

By the way the Kof dream match VGA patch doesnt have this issue and looks crisp.

Its like line doubling isnt working on Evolution or something.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Might be something in output as direct vga cable it does not seem to do that ?

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Interesting... thanks for sharing, guys. I'm using DCDigital HW2 here, but I'm very surprised to see this. Do either of you have the HQ2X filter setting enabled?
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

ateam wrote:Interesting... thanks for sharing, guys. I'm using DCDigital HW2 here, but I'm very surprised to see this. Do either of you have the HQ2X filter setting enabled?
not sure. I'll need to check.

I wouldn't have thought so, as KOF Dream match 99 is fine in VGA mode. tried that as a sense check and it had crystal clear pixels.

Also, not sure the size of screen you have Derek if that's anything to do with it, but I was putting it through my 65inch, so everything was blown up. I might have struggled to see a difference if I was using my 24inch monitor.

Ant2no78
rebel
Dreamcast Games you play Online: sega rally 2

Post by Ant2no78 »

Im using the OG DCHDMI myself on an acer monitor.

Everything looks clean with the exception of this.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

Sharp as can be here at 1440p output. I also changed to 1080p just to see. Same thing.

PS: This is a large display, as well.

Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

fraggle200
Graffiti Grind

Post by fraggle200 »

ateam wrote:Interesting... thanks for sharing, guys. I'm using DCDigital HW2 here, but I'm very surprised to see this. Do either of you have the HQ2X filter setting enabled?
HQ2X isn't an option in HW1 DCHDMI.

could this be a HW1 vs HW2 DCHDMI issue?

FYI: my DCHDMI is an original Blackdog tech one, not a Bitfunx one.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post by ateam »

fraggle200 wrote:HQ2X isn't an option in HW1 DCHDMI.
Yes it is, but it might require a different firmware branch. You can find mentions of it on the original DCHDMI changelog (https://github.com/chriz2600/DreamcastHDMI#readme).
fraggle200 wrote:could this be a HW1 vs HW2 DCHDMI issue?
It might be, I honestly don't know.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post by Ian Micheal »

Sharp on normal vga cable .. Could it not be there tv doing silly things or monitor not sure ..