What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Anthony817
Shark Patrol

Re: What games would be a good fit to be ported to DC?

Post#181 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 6:57 am

Bro! Carmageddon is one of my all time favorite games! Have part 2 on Steam and still play it every once in a while. I so hope Carmageddon 2 gets a similar treatment! I was hopeful that Red Dog source code release would help reverse those games since they were on the same engine. But this is even better! I can't believe I didn't hear about this project sooner.

I was checking out the Bleem version video just yesterday and that seemed to run so close to perfect shame it wasn't fully rendering pedestrians correctly. But that was more or less a version of Carma 2 vehicles.

TapamN wrote:When looking through games that would make for decent (3D) homebrew Dreamcast ports, I found two Macintosh games from 98/99, Bugdom and Nanosaur, that are open source and look doable. Descent and Freespace could also be good ones (and ones that more people would care about), but the controls really aren't a good fit for the DC's controller. They aren't even a good fit for keyboard and mouse! :lol:

Honestly wish somebody would port Marathon Trilogy to DC again. Bero's port lacked the most important things, namely no save or mouse/controller support. You only get to play it with keyboard, which sucks so badly. Game itself ran full 60fps.

It is literally the precursor to Halo and the first FPS like true FPS made by Bungie.

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#182 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:12 am

With the arcade source code being out in the wild, I think Cruis'n USA would be a great candidate for a Dreamcast port.

https://github.com/historicalsource/cruisin-usa

Ryo_Hazuki
killer

Post#183 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:56 pm

https://github.com/HomeworldSDL/HomeworldSDL

Could the Homeworld game be exported to the Dreamcast? It is a PC game from 1999.

Tetress
noob

Post#184 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:54 am

Cancelled/Rumored Games: Deus Ex & Messiah [2000]:
Probably mostly the former rather than the latter, Deus Ex was an Immersive Sim/Action RPG released on PC&Mac (and later PS2) which is set in 2052, it's absolutely an excellent genre defining title and i think it would've worked great on DC, at least as well as half life did. The Latter was actually planned for DC but got scrapped making it a PC exclusive, which does make it a bit hard to try to run these days, it's mainly known by people my age because its the origin of the "Roblox OOF" roblox aimbot, still quite an interesting title and probably worked pretty nicely on DC, i'll admit i'm probably not giving it the credit it deserves but surely it would be a decent fit and would make the game more easily accessible so you wouldn't need an old PC.

Well i don't know, i think that many games deserve to be ported. Like it would be cool to see yakuza 1(original)

Gman
shadow

Post#185 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:25 pm

Tetress wrote: Well i don't know, i think that many games deserve to be ported. Like it would be cool to see yakuza 1(original)

Oh, Yakuza and Deus Ex would be incredible, both perfect fits for the DC! I just can’t imagine either one really being feasible on original hardware…

What about some classic FPS like Blood? We have Duke Nukem, even if it is restricted to use with the keyboard and mouse. I’d be more than happy with Blood given the same treatment—has anyone looked into/attempted this?