The new proposed "VM2" from Chris at DreamMods.net

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

chrisvcpp
undertow

Re: The new proposed "VM2" from Chris at DreamMods.net

Post#31 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:53 am

killer-elite wrote:Since this has 4X Memory Card built in will the incompatible games that don't support it still not work or will there be a workaround being that this is new hardware??? Thanks.

https://segaretro.org/4x_Memory_Card#Ga ... emory_Card

> For the games that do not recognize the 4x Memory, they will now work with the VM2, as I have made a workaround to this.

> I'm still working on the games that did not support in-game page switching. But there is a chance that this may not be possible.
These games seems that were programmed like recognizing a memory upon their startup, and refusing to re-check or accept a change at a later stage. So, in this case any workaround won't be possible and page-switching won't work.

chrisvcpp
undertow

Post#32 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:54 am

krovellium wrote:Are you going to be able to buy this or is it purely a DIY thing?

No, it's not a DIY. The VM2 will be a product that you will be able to buy.

chrisvcpp
undertow

Post#33 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:31 am

Just released the VM2 project info on my website: https://www.dreammods.net/stay-tuned.html

No1Dopechampion
rebel

Post#34 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:35 am

Never having owned a 4 x mem card, never knew there was an issue switching in-game. But I guess organising saves into specific 'slots' will be expected, thats where your new PC connectivity will shine .

mistamontiel
Shark Patrol

Post#35 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:29 pm

All I read was only Metropolis can't hang with 4x, but it did for me

Treamcaster
fire

Post#36 » Sun May 01, 2022 5:49 pm

chrisvcpp
undertow

Post#37 » Mon May 02, 2022 1:59 am

As an update to the VM2 Project:

Based on the community's invaluable feedback and comments, I'm considering of changing the memory system:

Instead of having 4x main + additional internal memory, I'm looking into implementing the integration of microSD card. This will allow for literally infinite space and virtual VMUs.

The user will be able to create/copy/restore VMU files, either at the root of the SD, or organized in folders (i.e. per game).

Still, it will need some extra work and issues to solve : like how to switch VMUs while in a game. At the moment the most obvious option seems to simply unplug the VM2 from controller, select the desired VMU from the VM2 menu, and then plug again. But changing VMUs often in such a way, might be annoying..

colgate
Doom

Post#38 » Mon May 02, 2022 2:31 am

Treamcaster wrote:https://youtu.be/o5XyVqp8CLs?t=1154
Isn't this the only footage from 10six for the Dreamcast released? I don't remember seeing anything else.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Nico0020
Sunday Shootout

Post#39 » Mon May 02, 2022 6:38 am

This is absolutely amazing and exactly what I hoped we would get after seeing that memcard Pro for PS1. I am fine with a 4X card, as that's exactly what I use for my daily driver. Though I understand some would want unlimited number of cards. Whatever works the most seamless would be best, as removing the card to change banks would not be ideal. This will be an insta-buy for me. Keep us posted :D

Treamcaster
fire

Re: The new proposed

Post#40 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:05 am

colgate wrote:Isn't this the only footage from 10six for the Dreamcast released? I don't remember seeing anything else.

This is the only one I know of...

Return to “New Releases/Homebrew/Emulation”