Reset-to-Menu function and automating it with GDEMU?

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Re: Reset-to-Menu function and automating it with GDEMU?

Post#11 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:08 pm

I looked through Ian's 187 projects on git and still trying to figure out where to start :lol:

I can answer the bit for gdemu. Yeah, you can reset it by pressing the button sequences manually. I'm looking for it to be automatic based on a timer when no buttons are pressed for ~five minutes so I get the flashy game intros instead of it being stuck on a character select screen if my friends stop playing. Like an arcade port. And DC has pretty much the whole experience except for "reset".

deluxux
Black Mesa

Post#12 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:22 pm

I think an automatic reboot of the system might be possible with homebrew games if it's added in as game code.
I don't think it's possible with retail games or hacking around with Gdemu...

Maybe you could get one of those boxes designed for rebooting a PC or router. https://www.controlbyweb.com/webswitch/ https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08TN1QGJ3/

Just setup the gdemu with only the game in folder 01 and bypass the menu.. but then you would just get a timer not only at idle..

ZTylerDurden
lithium

Post#13 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:36 pm

Interesting, didn't think of the rebooting hardware. Not sure how'd that work but gotta look into it.

Right now I've got in mind an Arduino that intercepts my arcade pcb wires to button press based on idle but it's a bit messy and I'd rather do it from the system itself.
Attachments
Dreamcast Reset Wiring (Simplified).jpg