Just bought a GDEMU 5.15b clone and have some questions

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

tonysantana
shadow

Just bought a GDEMU 5.15b clone and have some questions

Post#1 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:45 am

Hey guys, love the forum. Glad to see sites like this still exist!!

I just bought a GDEMU 5.15b clone (bitfunx edition). I have a few questions for you all if you can be of assistance.

1) Bitfunx calls their GDEMU 5.15b the "Ultima Version." Is this just a marketing gimmick or does it actually mean something?

2) I've heard the only difference with 5.15b vs 5.20+ is that 5.15b has issues with with Skies of Arcadia and Resident Evil Code Veronica, but you can find patches for these! Where can I find them?

3) What is the best romset/full pack available for the GDEmu 5.15b? I know Archive.org has a few, but not sure which one to pick.

4) What's the best place to get the Atomiswave ports that are most compatible with GDEmu 5.15b?

5) I also read that the GDEMU 5.15b has worse compatibility with Atomiswave Ports compared to the 5.20+. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

megavolt85
Developer

Re: Just bought a GDEMU 5.15b clone and have some questions

Post#2 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:05 am

1) marketing gimmick
2) there is a patch only for code veronica. you need more posts to access the download section.
3) the best option is the Dubcity collection. you need more posts to access the download section.
4) they are all compatible with GDEMU, the difference in assemblies is only in control presets.
5) no, this is a lie, only the SD card matters, some games may freeze when using a low-quality SD.
P.S. I'm the one who ported AtomisWawe and I'm using the original GDEMU with firmware 5.14 and I'm not going to upgrade to 5.20 :)

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#3 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:42 pm

megavolt85 wrote:I'm using the original GDEMU with firmware 5.14 and I'm not going to upgrade to 5.20 :)

Why don't you want to update yours ?

megavolt85
Developer

Post#4 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:56 pm

fafadou wrote:Why don't you want to update yours ?

I am completely satisfied with 5.14, and what errors can occur in 5.20 is not completely known.
I know that in 5.14 (the same as 5.15) there is a bug in only two games, RECV and SoA, for the first there is a fix, and in the second you can just skip the FMV.
someone said that in 5.20 there are problems with some games, of course I can’t confirm this, but it will be unpleasant if I update and it turns out to be true, I also don’t like that in 5.20 you need to turn off GDI checking

tonysantana
shadow

Post#5 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:19 pm

megavolt85 wrote:1) marketing gimmick
2) there is a patch only for code veronica. you need more posts to access the download section.
3) the best option is the Dubcity collection. you need more posts to access the download section.
4) they are all compatible with GDEMU, the difference in assemblies is only in control presets.
5) no, this is a lie, only the SD card matters, some games may freeze when using a low-quality SD.
P.S. I'm the one who ported AtomisWawe and I'm using the original GDEMU with firmware 5.14 and I'm not going to upgrade to 5.20 :)

This is super helpful. Thank you! how many posts do we need to access the downloads section? Edit: Nvmd, seems like it's 2 posts as I see it now!

Also, what is your take on changing the power supply when installing the GDEmu? It seemed rather inconclusive as there appears to be proponents of keeping the stock PSU regardless of installing GDEmu or not.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#6 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:30 pm

tonysantana wrote:Also, what is your take on changing the power supply when installing the GDEmu?

According to statistics, NTSC-U console power supplies do not overheat, and PAL console power supplies overheat in 99% of cases when installing GDEMU.
my personal opinion, the power supply should always be changed, this is an extra source of heat that shortens the life of the console, let this heat be released outside the console case.

tonysantana
shadow

Post#7 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:21 pm

megavolt85 wrote:
tonysantana wrote:Also, what is your take on changing the power supply when installing the GDEmu?

According to statistics, NTSC-U console power supplies do not overheat, and PAL console power supplies overheat in 99% of cases when installing GDEMU.
my personal opinion, the power supply should always be changed, this is an extra source of heat that shortens the life of the console, let this heat be released outside the console case.

I have an NTSC-U console, so it sounds like it really doesn't matter then. What do you mean though to let the heat be released outside the console case? How would a different PSU make that happen versus the stock PSU?
Last edited by tonysantana on Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rudiment
lithium

Post#8 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:16 pm

He means, use an external power supplies. The DC uses an internal power supplies.

rudiment
lithium

Post#9 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:19 pm

After market ones use a "brick". Also, if you do get a new ps, dont get one of the ali express cheapos. I cant direct you on where to buy one since I dont use one though.

tonysantana
shadow

Post#10 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:57 pm

rudiment wrote:After market ones use a "brick". Also, if you do get a new ps, dont get one of the ali express cheapos. I cant direct you on where to buy one since I dont use one though.

Ah, okay. I didn't know that. Thanks for the clarification. Are you also using a GDEmu with a stock psu? If so, how is it working for you?