mvc2 ratio system

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

bankbank
shadow

Re: mvc2 ratio system

Post#21 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:53 am

SMiTH wrote:forgive me for the noob questions.

hey it's cool. I was a total beginner at this just a few months ago, started in june. happy to answer your questions about asm hacking.

SMiTH wrote:are you able to view asm in real time? nope.

if you play the game with a debugger, then yes, you can view the "asm" in real time. you can view the opcodes of the game. for example 00 09 is the opcode for 'NOP' which means do nothing and go to the next opcode. so when you play the game in MAME with the debugger open, it will show <Program Counter address> NOP 00 09 for a line that has a NOP. but when you say "real time", the game is making hundreds of thousands or millions of calculations every second, so you will never be able to just observe with a naked eye any instruction, it will all move in a blur. so you need to learn to use WATCHPOINTS and BREAKPOINTS in order to stop the execution of the program based on your criteria.
https://docs.mamedev.org/debugger/watchpoint.html
https://docs.mamedev.org/debugger/breakpoint.html

forumpost1.png

SMiTH wrote:now that i think about it, this makes no sense oh well.
like using a memory editor? but instead of viewing hex code, you view asm? is this what a debugger does? <-- maybe?
so when you use a controller and press a button, you can find what values change and where they are located etc?
idk ??????

hex code is a mix of data and opcodes. debugger lets you view the state of the PC and registers and (hopefully) use watchpoints and breakpoints to analyze the operation of the program. with regards to the controller and pressing a button, yes. all dc/naomi uses an input system called maple, maple writes to a specific address every frame. the game program will then read from that address. every single dc/naomi game will use this same system. so if you google to find that maple address and then go into mame debugger and type "watchpoint <that address>,8,rw" the operation of MAME will break any time any PC either reads or writes to anywhere between that address and 8 bytes ahead.

SMiTH wrote:do you find hex codes in memory then you are able to find that specific hex in asm as well? (this is it, right?)
again idk, asm is wizardry to me sry lol

if you search for a value in RAM, that value will not show up in ROM. the game files are ROM, read only memory, they never change. the game's temporary memory which gets lost when you turn the machine off is RAM. so you can search for, for example, the timer in a fighting game. search for value "99". there will be a lot of hits. then let the timer decrement to 98, and search again within the prior results. do it a couple times and you'll find the memory address for the game. then you can modify it to change the timer to 99 so you never run out of time. but what I'm describing is changing RAM, it's temporary. an example of changing ROM would be to find the asm instruction that decrements the timer by 1 every second and then change that instruction to 00 09 (NOP) so it never decrements and stays at 99 permanently. this would be an example of a ROM change.

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#22 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:00 am

thank you for info.
i thought nop was 90 so this is (endianness) big endian , little endian or w/e right? 09
so what is an op code and what is jmp? mov?
what i have always wanted to do is, find a specific hex chain in memory editor and then find that in asm.
or maybe im off on this? find a specific hex chain in hex editor then find that in asm?
basically some way of connecting what i can find in hex to a location in asm and then go from there?
if i could ever figure that out then it would make modding games much more interesting.
idk

SMiTH
Black Mesa

Post#23 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:29 pm

some of your explanations from earlier i know.
i mean like the basic computer 101 stuff.
but any examples of howto bridge the gap from a hex editor, memory editor, packet editor to then finding specific hex in asm? this is something i have always wanted to figure out.

of course even if i can figure that out, it doesn't mean that i would have any idea what to do next lol
but its like a big puzzle to me.
i can grasp pieces of it, but the rest ????

an example i found a few years back was when i watched a youtube video on editing the zelda rom. basically the guy would find memory code then from that find a hex chain and its corresponding spot in asm. then he would hex edit the rom file to do whatever. like link gets master sword at first location blah blah. lol

also how does some1 go from looking at hex code with no background on what that code does and then figure out exactly where it is used in an executable and what seperate pieces of that code correspond in relation to functions and registers and blah blah. i mean wtf this stuff is crazy.

the one thing i have never understood is how can one figure out what a protection code would look like or how it is implemented? i mean especially if they have nothing to base it off? are they looking at the asm piece by piece figuring out the functions and what they do? then nop out functions that they think disable various stuff? i have way more questions, so i will try to leave it at that.

ok that is all.

bankbank
shadow

Post#24 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:15 pm

+Added MVC2 Ratio and CVS2 BOSS Naomi roms into the DLC list.

https://github.com/RossenX/NullDC-BEAR/releases

kingssd3
noob

Post#25 » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:26 pm

bankbank wrote:

Do you think you would be able to make a version where specific character assists are more points than others? I'm sweatin' over here, since Tron is 4 points, but what makes her 4 points is her broken ring assist. Otherwise I'd put her as 3 points.

Others might be psylocke, captain commando, etc. I think the points should be lowered if you choose the non-toptier assist.

bankbank
shadow

Post#26 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:47 am

kingssd3 wrote:
bankbank wrote:

Do you think you would be able to make a version where specific character assists are more points than others? I'm sweatin' over here, since Tron is 4 points, but what makes her 4 points is her broken ring assist. Otherwise I'd put her as 3 points.

Others might be psylocke, captain commando, etc. I think the points should be lowered if you choose the non-toptier assist.

Justin Wong made the list, not me. I didn't implement different costs per assist because I don't have any list which provides that information. I don't play the game, I just made the mod.

kingssd3
noob

Post#27 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:49 pm

bankbank wrote:
kingssd3 wrote:

Justin Wong made the list, not me. I didn't implement different costs per assist because I don't have any list which provides that information. I don't play the game, I just made the mod.

Oh, I know. I wanted to plant the seed in your head (in terms of programming and UI), as I believe that might be a requested update down the line if this mod were to become more popular. Whether it happens or not, that's a different story. I appreciate the mod, bankbank.