[v1.0 RELEASED] Death Crimson 2: Altar of Melanito (English Translation Patch)

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

CORE316
photon blast

Re: [New English Translation Project Started] Death Crimson 2: Altar of Melanito

Post#21 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:27 pm

This is awesome work and the VMU Icon inject is something else Thank You for working on this , looking at what you described do you think technically the RAM Address or Code associated with Resident Evil Code Veronica could be modified like Resident Evil 2.

RE2 Condition and Gun / Ammo
RECV Condition only
Cant remember but I think RE3 was same as RE2.

Just got me thinking just like Dreamcast still thinking thanks to talented peeps here like you and others something else for me to start looking into learning.

ateam
Animated Violence

Re: [New English Translation Project Started] Death Crimson 2: Altar of Melanito

Post#22 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:08 pm

Just a quick little update here.

Video subtitling and re-encoding is 100% complete, and graphic/texture modification is 100% complete (I've even fixed some of the "Engrish" street signs in order to conform to the established localized names from "Death Crimson OX"). Lastly, translation is about 75% complete, after which I'll be doing a full playtest on real hardware, end to end.

I've also finished implementing two modifications I mentioned in my original post:

• Cheat Function:
    Pressing the L+R triggers simultaneously at any time during the game will refill your credits to the maximum allowable value (255). Doing so also puts 15 minutes on any countdown clock (there are exploration levels of the game that hold players to a predefined time-limit to solve puzzles). This will allow players who want to experience the story not be forced to replay certain levels over and over.

• Mission Mode:
    All mission levels (i.e., not Story Mode) are unlocked by default, thus not requiring players to progress past certain points of the game in order to enable them.

I haven't been updating this thread with all of the assembly hacking I've had to do for this game (unlike "Nakoruru", where I updated throughout the project's lifecycle with many detailed posts). That said, I've found that "Death Crimson 2" here has required just as much, if not MORE assembly hacking than "Nakoruru" did.

Heck, I even fixed a bug from the original developers (ECOLE) that prevented a dialogue instance from being rendered! In its original state, the player was presented with a clunky and jarring moment where they pressed A to progress dialogue text, and were then presented with... well... nothing! They then had to press A once again to proceed with the dialogue. Not anymore, though ;)

Regarding the assembly hacking, here's just a small example, which I've copied and pasted from the original Twitter post linked below.

• Twitter Post: https://twitter.com/DerekPascarella/status/1753903779903140336
• Nitter Mirror: https://twiiit.com/DerekPascarella/status/1753903779903140336

I've encountered this a few times so far in "Death Crimson 2" while working on the Englsih translation patch. The game has moments where it dynamically calculates a Shift-JIS byte-pair rather than read and display stored strings for each number...

Noice the mismatch?

I'm sure you do, it's quite obvious! The numbers are using the Dreamcast's BIOS font and, as I said, are using on-the-fly generated Shift-JIS byte-pairs (e.g., 3 = 0x8252).

This is not only ugly, but forces me to use "rotation(s)" to satisfy 1 through 9.

But, what if... :geek:

Much better, right? 8-)

How's it work? I hook into the function that renders this text, then do ASCII calculation based on loop iterator (e.g., 3 = 0x33). I then add a space (0x20), overwrite Shift-JIS, and use pointer to "rotation" or "rotations" based on 1 or >= 2.

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube
• Discord: derek.ateam

Wombat
Vagabond

Post#23 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:03 am

Just chiming in to say I really appreciate each and every time when you post your progress and technical knowledge of how its done. It's a great insight and exciting outlook. Looking forward to giving Death Crimson 2 a spin while actually understanding what's going on.

foxx
lithium

Post#24 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:15 am

ateam unlock Ninja Debug in your release.
Attachments
Снимок экрана (32).png
Снимок экрана (32).png (80.24 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
Снимок экрана (31).png
Снимок экрана (31).png (38.53 KiB) Viewed 1395 times

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#25 » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:04 am

foxx wrote:ateam unlock Ninja Debug in your release.

I don't believe I will. I've been using the excess space consumed by the debug code to store my own code and expand out the space afforded for dialogue text.
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#26 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:11 am

As every one, I'm really impressed by your work dear @ateam.
Each game you have translated is very well done.

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#27 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 6:47 am

fafadou wrote:As every one, I'm really impressed by your work dear @ateam.
Each game you have translated is very well done.

Thank you for the kind words! I try very hard to give these patches the polish and care they deserve. It gives me tremendous joy and satisfaction to see other people enjoying my work, and I hope "Death Crimson 2" is no exception (despite being kusoge territory).
Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

ateam
Animated Violence

Post#28 » Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:23 pm

Well, I've entered the final playtesting phase!

This time around, I'm going to do a full end-to-end hardware test on optical disc, rather than just ODE. I want to ensure everyone out there who wants to play this has a smooth gaming experience, regardless of whether they burn discs or use an ODE.

A huge thank you to Pitito, who showed me the correct way to modify LBAs for Dream Passport when it comes to a CDI release (which I'm using to ship bonus content).

Stay tuned!

Find me on...

DreamcastForever.com
GitHub
Reddit
SegaXtreme
Twitter
YouTube

MoeFoh
Uber

Post#29 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:50 am

Sir Derek - your work on the various translations is Incredible! 8-)
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

wakabayashy
shadow

Post#30 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:43 am

all your works are amazing @ateam, please continue :)