Hello, Everyone!

Say Hi and introduce yourself to the forum here!

Moderator: pcwzrd13

Marble_Granite
shadow

Hello, Everyone!

Post#1 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:19 pm

Hello, All! I've lurked on this awesome forum for a while now, and have been getting into VMU Game Development over the past few months, thanks to awesome resources like WaterBear, LibPerspective, Tetris.S, and RainingSquares. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community, and hoping to eventually share some code with you all -- thanks for having me :) :mrgreen: !

MoeFoh
Uber

Re: Hello, Everyone!

Post#2 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:05 am

Marble_Granite wrote:Hello, All! I've lurked on this awesome forum for a while now, and have been getting into VMU Game Development over the past few months, thanks to awesome resources like WaterBear, LibPerspective, Tetris.S, and RainingSquares. I'm looking forward to being a part of this community, and hoping to eventually share some code with you all -- thanks for having me :) :mrgreen: !

Welcome aboard. ;)
“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
- Charles Bukowski

Lila Corpsegrave
shadow

Post#3 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:55 am

Welcome, welcome! ❤️

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post#4 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:12 pm

Welcome man !

Neo-dreamer
dark night

Post#5 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:05 pm

Welcome enjoy your stay.

agentadam07
shadow

Post#6 » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:48 pm

My parents just came to visit and brought some of my old DC kit. Included on that was four VMUs. I’d love to get into playing around with VMU games on a couple of them. It still blows my mind that the DC had VMUs that did these things vs other consoles that just had basic cards. IMO, Sega didn’t do enough with the VMU.

Marble_Granite
shadow

Post#7 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Thanks so much All for the Warm Welcome, MoeFoh, Lila Corpsegrave, fafadou, Neo-dreamer, agentadam07, and Ian_Michael!! :D

agentadam07 wrote:My parents just came to visit and brought some of my old DC kit. Included on that was four VMUs. I’d love to get into playing around with VMU games on a couple of them. It still blows my mind that the DC had VMUs that did these things vs other consoles that just had basic cards. IMO, Sega didn’t do enough with the VMU.

I agree 100% on both counts; it's such an awesome peripheral, both in its interactive connectivity to the main Dreamcast Software and in its own right. I've often picked up certain Retail Games just because I know they have VMU Games included. While few titles implemented it extensively, some of the ones that chose to did it so well, and it really elevates the DC Experience (And the Arcade Experience, for some of 'em!). The same goes for the PocketStation, which received a fair bit of support despite being a later addition and not the standard Memory Card for the console. While watching the Geek Critique's VMU Video on YouTube, a really cool segment stuck out to me that highlighted how anyone with a Dreamcast and Internet Connection could upload their VMU Games to share with the world, twenty-plus years ago -- no Developer Contract or anything like that required. Making a game is difficult, but the ability to distribute it freely to users everywhere on stock hardware is just so cool to me. It really shows how the Dreamcast Community has been amazing since Day 1!

Edit 7/31/2022: For "Christmas In July," feel free to check out this Advent Wreath VMU Application/Tool & Source Code here on GitHub! I'm planning to add more features and updates in time for a more seasonal, timely release later in the year. I'd also like to thank all of the following, without whom this project and the ones to follow would certainly not exist!

Kresna Susila, for LibPerspective and NasuVMU
    Walter Tetzner, For the WaterBear Compiler
    Falco Girgis, for ElysianVMU
    Dmitry Grinberg, for the VMU Resources Page and VMU.PDF
    Marcus Comstedt, for Tetris.S and the .VMI Addresses Page
    Sebastian Mihai, for RainingSquares.S
    Tyco, for Chao Editor 2 and its .VMI File
    Speud, for Dream Explorer and VMU Tool
    RetroOnyx, for the awesome Coder's Cable

And Here are some direct links to the .VMI+.VMS!

Thanks Again, All!

Return to “New Member Introduction”