IDE HDD mod tutorial?

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
SegaShazam
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO

IDE HDD mod tutorial?

Post by SegaShazam »

Hello Dreamcast talk,

I been searchin for a tutorial on how to do a Dreamcast IDE hdd mod. Assemblergames use to have an detailed written w/ pics :D tutorial but the site has taken offline as of lately :cry: and unsure when they will come back online. Does anyone know of a substitute site or link that contains that tutorial?

TacT
Uber
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Q3A
PSO
AFO
PBA
CCR
PlanetRing
Toy Racer
Pool
4x4 Evo
Tetris
Starlancer!
Monaco
POD

Re: IDE HDD mod tutorial?

Post by TacT »

Last edited by TacT on Tue May 09, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

it's still thinking.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

I recently did the IDE mod and went by the pinout here. Don't bother with that "Dream IDE Reborn" thing; it's expensive for what it is and it's for a full size 40-pin IDE drive which still requires an external power source. 44-pin is the way to go as it's powered from the Dreamcast itself and uses the smaller 2.5" drives which you can actually fit in the Dreamcast itself. I put my drive where the GD-ROM would normally go. The IDE cable just fits to the right of the motherboard. You just need to cut a small section of the metal tray the motherboard sits on.

I also removed the laser mechanism from a non-working GD-ROM drive in order to make room for the HDD. You need the GD-ROM drive attached or the Dreamcast won't boot up. Apparently there's a workaround for this but I found this to be the easier solution.
IDE Mod.jpg
IDE Mod Wires.jpg
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live

SegaShazam
shadow
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO

Post by SegaShazam »

for clarification I thought it was required to use the gd-rom in place because you still needed to boot Dreamshell from a cd-r, but this isn't the case because you removed the gd-rom optical drive. How is Dreamshell booting, from HDD?

The-Amazing-Mr_V
Metallic
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake, PSO, ChuChu Rocket, 4x4 Evo, Max Pool, AFO, PBA bowling, Monaca, Ooga Booga, Tetris, POD.

Post by The-Amazing-Mr_V »

I would love a mod like this.

pcwzrd13
Seen Any Sailors?
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All of them! I'm able to connect with dial-up or broadband.

Post by pcwzrd13 »

SegaShazam wrote:for clarification I thought it was required to use the gd-rom in place because you still needed to boot Dreamshell from a cd-r, but this isn't the case because you removed the gd-rom optical drive. How is Dreamshell booting, from HDD?
I flashed the DreamShell bootloader to a custom BIOS chip. I guess it's possible to boot DreamShell from a disc as well but obviously you won't be able to make the drive internal if you have the GD-ROM drive still attached.
PSO Characters:
Teal'c - lvl 119 HUcast - GC# 11666
Alto - lvl 39 FOnewm - GC# 12964

YouTube Channel : Dreamcast Live