DREAM BEATS OF RAGE 7.2 With VMU ICON RUMBLEPACK AND VMU SAVING

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

Poll: What improvement, do you want, to see the most ?

Ported Video FMV cutscenes
38%
Scale Rending
17%
Change's from new src ported down
45%
Total votes: 53

Ian Micheal
Developer

Re: New Updated Openbor engine Game's posted

Post#21 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm

I have been working on it more.. Fix the png loading problem i hope.. Updated kos png to latest src and it compile's Now a lot more new game's are loading Yay!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fcygg ... wVIxSkI6gp

jusr put a Bor.pak on root and make a cdi.. The ip is custom point's to OPENBOR.BIN

Thank's to Ivan GR for the BBA dev logs :)

There is still something wierd going with the png colour's anyway's
im off to sleep.. ahhh

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#22 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:59 pm

Here is BORPhantasy Star Online bor mod Cdi i made .

https://mega.nz/#!HvRCkYZL!l7VZbo3oy1yp ... jVtL_IQF5w

I't has the newest build i made on it Same as above Png loading does not crash as it was with my other build's

It play's well
youtube video of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2wla6BsfKY

Ripfire
stalker

Post#23 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:30 am

Last edited by Ripfire on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#24 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 am

Ripfire wrote:¿What version did you use for that compilation?

I need it if it's functional for my project TMNT : The Hyperstone Heist for Sega Dreamcast

Hi ,Ripfire

I have been working on speed and the memory leak and trying to get 16bit mode.. This version has expermental HW DMA surface rending it's pretty fast. It's the New one i have just been testing..

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HdgEG ... w8b4yxCfH- try it out..

I'm still tracking down memory leak's but this load's bor mod's with more script's at the moment then the last one

Thanks for your interest..

IP.bin Openbor.bin ----> bor.pak on root just use bootdream's

It's based on 4111 but with some change's from openbor-4432 and change's to the dreamcast port and png rending. It's a lot faster for most mod's I'm downloading your game i will try it on this... Still chasing the memory leak <>

Dakangel
letterbomb

Post#25 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:32 am

4111 was the last with dreamcast support and 4432 was the last with sdl1, 8 and 16 bit color support.
From now on these new compilations opened a brand new breed for bor, separating it from the current.

Some memmory leaks happened because modders cant call correctly the scripts and those are "compiled" again and again and again as been used in game saturing the ram.

Another way can be sepparate video Ram for video specifics and system ram for only code stuff.
Im trying to find that sdl used to compiled snes4all by chui but it seems that emuforge is now dead and i dont think you can use the one in his page as you want.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#26 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:47 am

That's why i needed the SDL from Emuforge to fix some of this.. Till then it seem's 4111 i did fine this and ive been working thru it trying to apply the idea

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/ps3-m ... 618/page-2

Someone has to have it :) even other coder's on this forum ..

Right now , i'm working on the filecache.c I dont think it freeing the filecache im trying to fix this . Much testing to do..

Ripfire
stalker

Post#27 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 pm

Last edited by Ripfire on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#28 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:31 am

Ripfire wrote:I have tested your project, and it is much more stable than the last official version. ¡¡¡Thanks!!! :D

¿In the future add to selection of games, supports web video and SD card?

I dont , see why we cant add the menu for a selection of game, back in 2004 i wrote a bormod menu for it. Also did TMNT mod my self the first one out :) the old days lol.. I dont know what you mean by web video. If you mean mp4 or mpeg i could do that... SD could should be do able. as well . My main thing is geting this to release ram between stage's . I have a good idea to force that. It's a beta i will put up soon.. I could write a bin that load's a mp4 at the start for intro's then load's the engine. that would not effect ram. as it would flush it between loading. Calling a mp4 in game could be a problem. We have a lot of video format's for dreamcast i ported flv and pss to dreamcast a long time ago..

thanls ripfire ..

Ian Micheal
Developer

Post#29 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Some info from the current admin of the openbor forum

Online Damon Caskey
Administrator
View Profile DC Current Email Personal Message (Online)
Reply #2 on:Today at 06:39:53 AM
Pretty much what @msmalik681 said. OpenBOR knows what its doing. The memory it doesn't release is for sounds and sprites that are almost always reused, so there isn't much point in loading them over and over. Unless you are working with severe memory limitations or are 100% certain you'll never use a given asset again it's usually best to let the engine handle management.

So it's not supposed to unload sound and sprite's .. guess what's crashing it, I really dont think we have a memory leak at all.. It hold's on to all sound's music and sprite's.. So new music and sprite's that you dont reuse is still held in memory .. till it goes over 16 meg . When it load's new music and sprite's .. then it crash's because that's the way the engine work's ,i have been using nulldc working build i made ,and that's exactly what , i'm seeing on the debugger :).. but there is a fix by hand in the script's
=======================================
load_model("model_name");
unload_model("model_name");
=======================================
Be aware that manual memory management can be tricky and could lead to crashes.. If you want to, fix game's that crash you will have to do it from script's using manual mode.. No bor mod that load's more then 16 meg on start up can work.. The dreamcast could load 800mb 5 meg at time. But a 20 meg game that try's to load 20 meg at start up no way.. Silly example but yeah...

Example level one has 1 2 3 4 5 music.. Before level 2 use the script to unload these, if your not reusing them.. load new music sprite's not the same one's Use unload_model("model_name");

before entering next level, then you can load the rest no crash at all.. So you would have to really port bor mod's and go thru the whole thing.. unload what's not reused before next level . then load new file's etc.. If you need more help i will try to make it clearer.. So far i see no memory leak's using the debugger.. it's doing what it's susposed to do..

Here is the beta. Now loading on Nulldc Dreamcast emulator :)
Make's it easy to see if it was ram that crashed it , or scipting error's or missing file's in your pak...
==============NULLDC fixed Openbor DC port ================================ :shock: :shock:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gRvaS ... d1nMQTu5Jn

Will help all Bor mod's to be ported to dreamcast

Ripfire
stalker

Post#30 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Last edited by Ripfire on Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.