Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

cloofoofoo
Dreamcast Swirl

Re: Atomiswave Conversions FAQ

Post#91 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:17 pm

p1pkin wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:
MarkCerny wrote:
That's a Naomi 2 game. Same with Virtua Striker 3, Beach Spikers and King of Route.

It would need some extreme optimization and a significant downgrade to reprogram those games and make them run on a Dreamcast. Probably at a lower resolution mode (512*400) with blurry textures and lower polygon count, I can see them running on the Dreamcast at 60fps.

I dont think that would help at all.. Naomi 2 has 2 cpus double every thing

more like 320x240

how about "no" ? Naomi2 = Katana/Dreamcast + one more PowerVR2/HOLLY + T&L "ELAN" coprocessor. there is no "double every thing", who told you that bullshit ?

also, renderer resolution is not a problem, in average scenes N2 games do not exceed single PVR2 fill rate capabilities.
video RAM size is not a big problem too - there possible to use VQ-compressed textures instead of plain ones, with no notable difference in games, just look at Crazy Taxi for example - you will not notice a difference there if compare Dreamcast and NAOMI versions.
the real bottle necks - polygon transformations and lighting calculations, handled by ELAN in Naomi2. main SH4 CPU is too weak to calculate all of that with decent speed.

I remember i read on another forum you said the sh4 could probably do around 5k vertex per frame at 60fps with 6 lights vs naomi 2 60k vertex per frame at 60 fps with 6 lights. Yes theres just no room for a straight conversion since the sh4 is much slower.

But you also said wacky races on the dc does around 70k vertices per frame with *probably* 1 light+ambient at 30 fps. So it isnt as hopeless as it seems, you could hit similar vertex rate if you half the framerate and give up most/all of the lighting(naomi2 initial d port for psp seems to have done this). Of course this would probably require the source code of said naomi2 games , probably 0% chance of that. Just no chance of straight conversion like atomiswave due to hw difference.

p1pkin
shadow

Post#92 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Ian Micheal wrote:Yes little bit over simple i should of said with out the other sh4 the main is to weak to do these games with out complete rewrite it did take them a team with up to 100 people 6 months to port NAOMI games to work on dreamcast cost in the millions.. this not going to happen we have no source code any ways..

Just pie in the sky stuff..

exactly
is this (and not only) possible in theory ? - yes for sure, but wont happen at practice,

slivercr
core

Post#93 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:51 pm

p1pkin wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Yes little bit over simple i should of said with out the other sh4 the main is to weak to do these games with out complete rewrite it did take them a team with up to 100 people 6 months to port NAOMI games to work on dreamcast cost in the millions.. this not going to happen we have no source code any ways..

Just pie in the sky stuff..

exactly
is this (and not only) possible in theory ? - yes for sure, but wont happen at practice,

Atomiswave (Dreamcast) to Naomi was done already, is the converse feasible supposing there's a Naomi game that doesn't need the extra oomph provided by Naomi?

I.e., if there exists somewhere a Naomi game that doesn't go over spec from the Dreamcast--no extra RAM / VRAM needed and things like that--, how difficult would it be to hack it to run on Dreamcast?

Please don't ask me to name such a name because I don't know if it exists, I'm just asking out of scientific curiosity.

killy9999
shadow

Post#94 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:39 pm

slivercr wrote:How do I change SRAM settings?
Its a fairly easy process, but you will need a few things:
-demul emulator,
-Atomiswave bios to use with demul,
-Atomiswave ROM of the game you want to change settings,
-dd (if you're on windows, get it here)
-5 minutes or less of your time.

I want to point out that it doesn't have to be demul. I'm changing settings using flycast.

p1pkin
shadow

Post#95 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:57 am

slivercr wrote:Atomiswave (Dreamcast) to Naomi was done already, is the converse feasible supposing there's a Naomi game that doesn't need the extra oomph provided by Naomi?

I suppose any NAOMI game uses "extra" RAM, because in many cases various data stored in stack-style (in "backwards" order, from very top to bottom).

slivercr wrote:I.e., if there exists somewhere a Naomi game that doesn't go over spec from the Dreamcast--no extra RAM / VRAM needed and things like that--, how difficult would it be to hack it to run on Dreamcast?

in general, about same level of complexity as AW->DC ports. inputs handling will require more work, in AW->DC there needed little to none changes, but NAOMI->DC ports will require complete rework,

add: forgot about NAOMI syscalls (mainly used to access system settings, flags, etc), which must be recreated/simulated too.

slivercr
core

Post#96 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 pm

Fixes released for Neo Geo Battle Coliseum, be sure to redownload and test the new version!

shano
lithium

Post#97 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:11 am

I really hope the Gun Games end up getting converted and hopefully they can work with the Light Guns that would be awesome.

megavolt85
Developer

Post#98 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:24 am

shano wrote:and hopefully they can work with the Light Guns

will be able, do not even doubt
I only need to solve the calibration problem

shano
lithium

Post#99 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:10 am

megavolt85 wrote:

Wow that is great news! :D :o
We all really appreciate the work you and yzb have done for the Dreamcast scene.

slivercr
core

Post#100 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:08 am

megavolt85 wrote:

megavolt85, you're a rockstar!