Dreamcast replacement clock battery not lasting

Technical help for Dreamcast console, accessories and games only. Ask questions and find answers here. For Online help see the Online Forum
Robfozz
rebel

Dreamcast replacement clock battery not lasting

Post by Robfozz »

So, I've had the modded battery holder installed in my Dreamcast for a while, and I'm fairly certain it's working correctly, but my batteries aren't lasting more than a month for it. They **are** recharging, if I set the time and play my Dreamcast for a little bit, it will keep the time for a couple days at most but if I come back a week or so later, the clock is reset again. Ive tried leaving it on for a long time and seeing if that let the battery charge fully but it didn't make too much of a difference, if any.

Is this just normal? Ive tried a few different batteries over the years but none have been any different. Yes, I am using ML2032 batteries.
Pepperonium

Xiden
Developer
Dreamcast Games you play Online: All the DC games!!

Re: Dreamcast replacement clock battery not lasting

Post by Xiden »

What brand are you using? I use Maxell. Seems to last over a week for me and the longest of all ive tried. But yeah unfortunately if you aren't using it often then its likely going to run through the battery after about a week. At least in my experience

Ive heard its better to buy another solider in battery to last way longer instead of a socket per voultar.

krovellium
fire
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Quake III Arena
PSO
ChuChu Rocket
Worms World Party
Internet Game Pack

Post by krovellium »

Be absolutely sure it’s a ML2032 and you’re leaving it on for 4+ hours. 30 minutes won’t do.

MondoGecko
minority

Post by MondoGecko »

In my experience it's absolutely normal to have to set the clock again if your Dreamcast hasn't been used for about a month. Having the console powered on for 3-4 hours should give you full or close enough to full charge, but the reality is it's just not going to hold that charge for over a month. You'll have to use your Dreamcast more often than that to keep the charge. Avoid the LIR2032 batteries, they're not the correct voltage and require a protection circuit.

Bob Dobbs
Sub Genius
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO, AFO, PBA, 4x4 Evo, IGP, Planet Ring and Max Pool

Post by Bob Dobbs »

Maxell ML-2032 like Xiden pointed out.
Regards,
Bob Dobbs