Spirit of Speed 1937

A section to post your reviews of Dreamcast games. See rules for details.
Forum rules
Rating System: Please include a rating on the scale from 1 to 10. Make sure to put the name of the game in the topic title (game name must be first in the title) Example: 'Toy Racer Review by yadayadagames'. Also include a poll with options 1-10 other users can rate the game (you can add our own subtitles for each ranking or leave it blank). Example: http://dreamcast-talk.com/forum/viewtop ... f=34&t=789

Poll: How terrible is Spirit of Speed 1937?

1: Worst
50%
2: Worse
25%
3: Horrible
No votes
4: Bad
No votes
5: Meh
No votes
6: Someone is a prankster
No votes
7: This vote is a joke
No votes
8: This vote is a joke
No votes
9: This vote is a joke
No votes
10: This vote is a joke
25%

Total votes: 4

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Spirit of Speed 1937

Post by lastcallgames »

It was bound to happen. As soon as I expressed hope that the next game would be better, the bottom of the barrel happens.

Maybe not the bottom, because it's not as bad as Roadsters, IMHO, but still, very very low.

Spirit of Speed 1937 takes place, as you can guess, in 1937, for reasons I cannot fathom. Period games are totally ok, but a RACING game, in the Great Depression? Why?

The menu is fine, the music during it (and not during gameplay) is probably the highlight of the experience. One thing you'll realize during gameplay is the distinct lack of options you have. In Championship mode, you can't change cars, and in no races can you edit the number of laps (some races I saw went over 30), meaning that it will get really boring really fast.

The graphics are best described as bad in a special way. They're technically superior to most lazy PS1 ports, but still ugly in every way. The audio is boring. Very boring. All you hear is the whirr of your engine, and maybe another engine. There's no crash sound, no crowd, no nothing.

The gameplay is atrocious. Touchy controls, forced manual reverse (video games had figured before that holding down brake is the way to reverse in video games, until this and Roadsters decided "pffft, fuck that!"), and sheer boredom make this the least enjoyable game I've played in a while.

Let me summarize this into one sentence. This game was so bad, Acclaim didn't want their name on it, that's why they pretended LJN still existed and published the game. It's atrocious, and is the second worst game on the system. The game gets a 2/10, just because it's slightly better than Roadsters.

mazonemayu
Agent Provocateur
Dreamcast Games you play Online: PSO: anything with mayu in its name = me

Re: Spirit of Speed 1937 Review

Post by mazonemayu »

added
thx
We are SEGA generation.

Subscribe:

https://youtube.com/user/mazonemayu <———gameplay vids be here

Visit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/150479343@N06/albums <—-collection piccies here

jjmcnasty
undertow

Re: Spirit of Speed 1937

Post by jjmcnasty »

This game is frustrating because it could be a fun idea for a game, if it looked and played like test drive le mans it would be fun.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

Ok, who thinks they're funny?

FinedrivE
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Can't get my dreamcast online. Looking forward to Quake 3, ya'know when ever I get around to it.

Post by FinedrivE »

Have not gotten a chance to hang out with this one. I may conduct an experiment and record someone playing it after I've hyped it up as the best game ever.

Also someone has listed a copy on Ebay as "Rare". There is Japanese copy going for 70 bucks new. That is more than Marvel Vs Capcom 2.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.

lastcallgames
Vagabond

Post by lastcallgames »

Maybe Japan was smart and threw all the copies into a volcano where they belong.

FinedrivE
dirty sailor
Dreamcast Games you play Online: Can't get my dreamcast online. Looking forward to Quake 3, ya'know when ever I get around to it.

Post by FinedrivE »

lastcallgames wrote:Maybe Japan was smart and threw all the copies into a volcano where they belong.
A very likely outcome.
Currently sucking at: The Legend Of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Road Rash II and Pirates! Gold

Searching for EGG, SFA3, and ANY GENESIS/CD/32X games.