Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Place for discussing homebrew games, development, new releases and emulation.

Moderators: pcwzrd13, deluxux, VasiliyRS

fafadou
Gold Lion

Re: Bangai-Oh VGA Patch

Post by fafadou »

@TampaN : I don't understand why you disable the dithering ?

TapamN
letterbomb

Post by TapamN »

fafadou wrote:@TampaN : I don't understand why you disable the dithering ?
You can keep dithering enabled if you want to. I don't mind dithering on 3D (even low res on PSX/N64, I wish the Saturn had dithering on Burning Rangers, the banding is awful) or artist controlled dithering on 2D, but seeing a low res checkerboard pattern on things like the background for the boot up logos looks silly to me, so I listed how to disable it.
ChuChu wrote:Is it possible to use the values listed in the first post to patch the Japanese version?
The Japanese version has noticeably brighter colours, and looks better in my opinion.
Yes, it's possible to convert it to the Japanese version. I can do it later, but it's possible for anyone to do it if you're careful. With a hex editor, look at code surrounding the patch locations in the US version, then do a search on the Japanese version for a similar block of hex, then apply the patch there.

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

TapamN wrote:
fafadou wrote:@TampaN : I don't understand why you disable the dithering ?
You can keep dithering enabled if you want to. I don't mind dithering on 3D (even low res on PSX/N64, I wish the Saturn had dithering on Burning Rangers, the banding is awful) or artist controlled dithering on 2D, but seeing a low res checkerboard pattern on things like the background for the boot up logos looks silly to me, so I listed how to disable it.
Thank you I understand now :)
TapamN wrote:
ChuChu wrote:Is it possible to use the values listed in the first post to patch the Japanese version?
The Japanese version has noticeably brighter colours, and looks better in my opinion.
Yes, it's possible to convert it to the Japanese version. I can do it later, but it's possible for anyone to do it if you're careful. With a hex editor, look at code surrounding the patch locations in the US version, then do a search on the Japanese version for a similar block of hex, then apply the patch there.
I'm trying to do it for PAL version.

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post by VirtuaShenmue »

the codebreaker code works for the Pal version?

matt
fire

Post by matt »

If you're running this in VGA there is no reason to use the PAL version, unless I am missing something?

Congrats to TapamN!

VirtuaShenmue
fire

Post by VirtuaShenmue »

if you own an original Pal copy I mean...

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

matt wrote:If you're running this in VGA there is no reason to use the PAL version, unless I am missing something?

Congrats to TapamN!
It's in order to have french and german.
The game boot but nothing after frequency selection, maybe my tv.

TapamN
letterbomb

Post by TapamN »

The game boot but nothing after frequency selection, maybe my tv.[/quote]I haven't looked into EU/JP Bangai-Oh yet. I've been mostly working on KoF 98. I got the boot logos, FMV, title screen, and menus to work by modding it the same way as Bangai-Oh, but going to the character select screen triggers a reset, and letting a demo play it seems to switch back to NTSC. Once it's back to NTSC, I can get to the character select screen and gameplay no problem. It seems like the game resets the PVR driver or display mode, and trying to fix/prevent that have resulted in resets. This is related to why PAL Bangai-Oh doesn't run after the mode select.

Rather than converting VGA to run at 320x240, I think I'm going to try to mod the NTSC signal setting code to output a VGA signal. It's less likely I'll miss getting some internal bookkeeping wrong that way. The patch might be too big to convert to a Codebreaker code, though.

I tried playing Bangai-Oh past the first stage, and this time didn't have the issue with the ends of Mami's lasers turning green. This time when I played, I had no VMU in (I was testing the Codebreaker codes, and after Codebreaker corrupted my VMU once, I make sure them out if I haven't backed up my VMU recently). Normally, I have GDMenu skip the Licensed By screen, but without the GDMenu save, GDMenu defaulted to displaying the logo. Maybe not running the logo code caused the problem? Or there was just something wrong with my save?

fafadou
Gold Lion

Post by fafadou »

TapamN wrote: I tried playing Bangai-Oh past the first stage, and this time didn't have the issue with the ends of Mami's lasers turning green.
I played until the second boos, I didn't notice anything wrong, I had a vmu plugged but no free space for saving.
What is exactly this Mami's laser issue ? Please.

TapamN
letterbomb

Post by TapamN »

fafadou wrote:What is exactly this Mami's laser issue ? Please.
When I was testing the game, Mami's lasers had this green blob on the end. I went back and played through almost the entire game (got to, but didn't beat, the last boss; my thumb hurts), but the blob was gone, even though I hadn't change the image (still without VMU). I think it's just a bug or weird easter egg in the game I was getting worried about.

I managed to find what I saw on a YouTube video, at 2:59:20ish.
https://youtu.be/ZllCtGuuRaM?t=10762
The lasers have this blob at the end instead of just being lines. But when it was happening for me, the blob was green.

Haven't gotten KoF working yet, not sure why. I'm going to modify Flycast to print what the video registers are getting set to.