Maybe it is better to start over than. It is a huge game after all, and if you put it away for some time you can easily forget the stuff you did (or didn't do).
The basic rules for the game are:
- upgrade your hero rather than level up
- the above means you have to refine EVERYTHING you find with the blacksmith. Don't worry as you can always duplicate the item later if you need it. Refining gives you mithril, which you need to upgrade your weapons, armours, shields, etc...
- save up to have the blacksmith forge the oriental sword, it takes some running around, killing enemies to get the mithril, but it is a very powerful sword.
- explore EVERYWHERE you can go, & see you always carry some pickaxes, as they will let you mine mithril in certain places (blue rocks)
- save often and be prepared to die A LOT
- don't let the sheer size of the game demotivate you, it is fucking HUGE (+50 hours If you complete it 100% If I remember correctly), but it IS a great game.
We are SEGA generation.